• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DENX u-boot and sheeva-uboot-envtools  (Read 2915 times)
odoll

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »

@ll,

just updated my SheevaPlugs from Pingtoo's Marvell based U-Boot version to the DENX 2011.03 one as suggested by Martin Michelmayr (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade.html).

However while using the previous installed sheeva-ubootenv-print command I find it still showing my "old" U-Boot's environment variables?!

So the DENX U-Boot is saving it's config at a different place in NAND!?

stathisv

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »

Hi,

The Sheevaplug build of DENX U-Boot saves its environment variables starting from
address 0x60000 of the NAND flash. I believe the Marvell version uses address 0xa0000.
That explains what you are seeing. You should be able to use the 'fw_printenv' utility
that is part of the mainline U-Boot to view the environment. You just need to set up
its configuration file (/etc/fw_env.config) to point to the correct flash address offset.

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »

Re another post I came across that Martin Michlmayr is pointing to an updated and more recent DENX u-boot version in his guide on http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade.html

Before digging into any DENX change logs and before giving it a try on my SheevaPlugs:

Would be someone able and willing to tell us kindly, what we could expect as fixes and/or enhancements on the Marvell side of the house? (Or if it's just mentioned by Martin, because it's the latest version available for the Plugs and want to kept his site up to date?)

apemberton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »

I have compiled and am using the DENX u-boot for Sheevaplug and Guruplugs. The version I compiled was u-boot-2011.06 and I do not recall patching anything as the variants already have a config file for them. I also confirm that the environmemt variables have moved as above post and modifying the fw_env.config file as above fixes the problem. Note that arcNumber becomes machid and is in hexadecimal rather than decimal.

Tony Pemberton

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:25:47 AM »

OK, thx. jFYI As I updated the DNEX version on my spare SheevaPlug yesterday evening from 2011.03 to 2011.12 without any issues (u-boot settings survived the update), I repeated the update this morning on my "production" system, again without any issues.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: