• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Order from global scale  (Read 3133 times)
diarmuidw

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:27:28 AM »

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has ordered developer kits from Global Scale. How long did they take to arrive? I'm in Ireland and it's now over two weeks since I put in the order.  Is it slow because of the UK plug option I took

Cheers

Diarmuid

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:41:55 AM »

globalscale had a note on their site: Fullfilling backorders, expect four weeks delay. The note has been removed but rumors say that they are still on backorder. Expect up to eight weeks. Search the forum i think there are some threads about this topic.

CqCn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »

I received mine about a week ago.  It was ordered 5 or 6 weeks before that.

Cordially, CqCn

diarmuidw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:46:35 AM »

Thanks allot,

I wonder is the CPU board available on its own without the "plug" part?

Diarmuid

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »

8 weeks here.  Be prepared for a long weight...   Marvell need to sort their stuff out, clearly Globalscale are not the right people to be partnering with, certainly not for the dev-kits and onesy twosy orders...

CqCn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »

Well, I have a minus mark for Globalscale when they insist on shipping by FedEx two day, when the wait is 4+ weeks.  They charge $20+, while I estimate their cost to FedEx is proabably $4. That pkg can be shipped anywhere in usa through USP for about $5.

When any company insists on overcharging for shipping, I avoid them if possible.  This is particularly bad when Marvel is trying to generate interests among developers and early adopters.

Yes, I hope Marvel finds a better alternative to Globalscale.  Boxes of this complexity can be bought for as little as $25 from China, so soon we would see them on Ebay Smiley

Cordially, CqCn

jefff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:51:13 PM »

my order was on hold due to back orders for just under a month, when i emailed CS for status i was told that they had no ETA on my order but that they could refund the order.  I emailed them to cancel my order on Tuesday, on Wednesday i rec'd my unit.   It was overnighted to me.

Not sure if this is the norm for global scale or not.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »

My Fedex "Priority" shipment spend 3 days sat in Memphis and then another 3 sat in Stanstead UK.   Not very priority,  even worse when I had to wait 8 weeks just to get the thing shipped.

If this were any other product, I would have told them to shove it where the sun don't shine.   It's a testament to how good the product is, that people are prepared to wait for them (if begrudgingly)

bji

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 10:16:53 PM »

my order was on hold due to back orders for just under a month, when i emailed CS for status i was told that they had no ETA on my order but that they could refund the order.  I emailed them to cancel my order on Tuesday, on Wednesday i rec'd my unit.   It was overnighted to me.

Not sure if this is the norm for global scale or not.

As another data point, I called to inquire about my order about 1 week after placing it on GlobalScale's web site.  At no point during the ordering process was the backorder status made known to me.  When I called, they gave me the bad news - weeks and weeks until I could expect to receive the unit.  I thought this was particularly lame because they had made no notification of this to me at any point, I had to call to find out.  I suppose they would have just left me waiting indefinitely without thinking they owed me any status on my order at all.  At any rate, they cheerfully offered to cancel and refund my order (by the way, it's doubly lame that they would charge my credit card without having the product anywhere in sight; I think there are laws against that, but I let them slide on it).  I took them up on it and they did so.  At no point did they make any effort to expedite my order based on the fact that I was calling to cancel it.  So in conclusion, I think you just got lucky.

By the way, I don't think it's GlobalScale's fault that orders are being fulfilled so slowly.  I think Marvell is providing a very low number of parts to GlobalScale and at a very slow rate.  So I think that GlobalScale can only assemble and ship out Sheevaplugs at a certain rate.  However, I do think that it is GlobalScale's fault that the communication about orders is so terrible, and that they charge before they have any product to ship.  On these counts, I actually think they should be investigated.

rektide

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 11:25:28 PM »

I ordered with two day shipping July 16.  July 22nd I asked what the status of my order was.  They said it was back-ordered and should be filled July 30.  August 3 I asked how fulfillment was going; they said "Your order has been processed; you will receive Tracking number by email" ... which I got on its actual ship date, August 6th.  Took forever, and I'm convinced it would've taken longer without nagging.  The one thing I'd note, the thing that kept my unpleasantness from turning to anger, was that Globalscale's turned around my emails very very quickly; in spite of feeling like my order was being ignored, it was impossible to entertain the notion that I was being ignored.

Marvell's creating a new market segment, but the supply chain, all the way down the line, doesnt seem setup for these small orders.  Good luck to all companies involves; its wonderful finally having top of the line SoC readily accessible to enthusiasts, but it seems apparent there are growing pains making this new market accessible, particularly to the "click button / buy product / on demand" expectations of buyers like myself.

AutoStatic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »

Ordered mine the 16th of april and received it the 5th of august. So it could take a while.

rbgray

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »

I ordered mine on July 16.   Around August 10th(?) I noticed that Global had immediately billed my credit card when the order was placed.  Concerned that I the information I had from the order tracking page did not clearly reflect this billing and that I might get double billed, I called Global to inquire.  I was assured that I would not get double billed and that a shipment of Sheeva Plugs was due in on Aug 14th.  Mine would ship by the 17th.   In reality, they did better, shipping my plug on the 14th via Fedex Ground, as I'd specified.   It arrived on Aug 19th.   Grin

Interestingly, the warranty period is 30 days from date of purchase.   Global "will, at it's option, either repair or replace the product without charge, provided the product is returned during the warranty period."  (my emphasis)   So, technically, the warranty expired before I even got the product.   Shocked   I think they need to adjust this policy...

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 02:29:13 AM »

Also watch out for the Fedex import duty bill that arrives a week or two afterwards...  Another 15 on the cost.

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 03:55:44 PM »

I also had to wait 5-6 weeks to get my unit, but compared to the 6 months I had to wait to get a Nintendo Wii for my son, I was not too annoyed. Let's face it, there is always going to be a wait for the latest and greatest technology. So far, I'm very happy with my SheevaPlug , after early problems in loading my software. The freight cost did seem excessive, but I'm not sure whether it's Globalscale making a profit or Fedex. When I called in to Globalscale to inquire, they said freight charges were done at cost. I also inquired about buying just the base board and they said I could but not in 1's and 2's. They also conceded that there were problems with delivery and had a lot of complaints. I told them that they should increase their production capacity, but they said they had plenty of capacity but somethings are completely out of their hands. They would not elaborate further, but reading between the lines, and I come from an electronic manufacturing background, it's normally to do with component supply. I think their web-site needs to improve on keeping the buyer informed, but I was very happy on how helpful people were when I called in.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: