• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dreamplug - "too many args" on reboot  (Read 2363 times)
voltagex

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:45:59 AM »

When I reboot the Dreamplug, it doesn't come back online - plug in the JTag and the UBoot is all screwed up. I'm not sure what garbage was on the line before, but I get "too many args"

If I run bootcmd, it then boots up fine, but why wouldn't it reboot without assistance?

bnborg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »

Is it the error where it also tells you that the maximum number is 16?  You can get around this with some "intermediate" variables.  On my SheevaPlug I have:

bootcmd=run bootcmd_sd; run bootcmd_usb; run bootcmd_mtd; run x_bootcmd;
bootcmd_mt1=ubi part nand0,1; ubi info; ubifsmount 'boot'; ubifsls; ubifsload 0x1100000 uInitrd; ubifsload 0x800000 uImage
bootcmd_mtd=run bootcmd_mt1; setenv bootargs ${bootargs_mtd} ${bootargs_std}; bootm 0x800000 0x1100000
bootcmd_mmc=mmc init; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x00800000 /uImage; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x01100000 /uInitrd;
bootcmd_sd=run bootcmd_mmc; setenv bootargs ${bootargs_mmc} ${bootargs_std}; bootm 0x800000 0x1100000;

rhubarb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »

Hi
I have the same problem on my stock Multiboot dreamplug (I have not changed anything to do with Uboot, cos I dont know how -yet).

I have created an Amahi Fedora SD card but,  if the JTAG is not connected,  the boot hangs at the Marvel prompt. I know this cos I can then connect the JTAG, hit return and see something like the following (the characters in the quotes are often garbled, but not always)

** Too many args (max. 16) **
Unknown command 'UKˇoot' - try 'help'       garbled example
Unknown command 'Boot' - try 'help'          not garbled example (I guess)
Marvell>>

I can then type "boot" and the boot continues and completes

If the JTAG is connected from the start then the boot completes automatically.

I have had this problem since settingup my SD card. Can some one suggest how I can organise the boot commands to fix this problem?

Things have got worse. The first thing that happened a (few months back) was that I could no longer surf to my Amahi HDA. I ignored this cos I didnt need it anyway. Today I came home to find that my Samba shares are no longer accessible (except for the only 1 that is mounted on the SD card). This was a showstopper so I started testing the dreamplug which I havent done in a while. I didnt change anything though. And now after a couple of reboots it doesnt want to boot off the SD card anymore. It is instead falling back to the internal uSD (Ubuntu), as it should in the event of an SD problem.

U-Boot 2011.06-02334-g8f495d9-dirty (Mar 28 2011 - 05:21:06)
Marvell-DreamPlug

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM:  512 MiB
SF: Detected MX25L1606 with page size 256, total 1 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
88E1121 Initialized on egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Purging kernel in memory
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus for devices...
     USB device not accepting new address (error=20)
8 USB Device(s) found
      scanning bus for storage devices... 2 Storage Device(s) found
reading uImage

** Unable to read "uImage" from usb 1:1 **
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
(Re)start USB...
USB:   Register 10011 NbrPorts 1
USB EHCI 1.00

So things have gone from bad to worse and I have not made a single change to Uboot (ever). I guess my SD card is corrupt. It was fairly good quality (8GB SandDisk Extreme (speed 10)) and didnt even last half a year in that case

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it
Peter

spinifex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »

Purging kernel in memory
I have not seen that before.

If the JTAG is connected ...
Connected via usb, or JTAG cables to Dreamplug? Remove them all, having JTAG connections makes the boot process shaky on my DP.

rhubarb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »

I havent changed anything but it has started booting of the SD again. Seems a bit flaky. I did pull the SD card out to have a look at it. So that could be the reason

My JTAG seems to work well. I cannot remove it or the boot does not complete

So what I would really need to do now is to make sure the DP gets through the boot without me having to JTAG in. Must find some good Uboot help

Peter

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: