• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to ssh/vnc to plug via laptop with linux mint  (Read 3343 times)
jm_eng

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »

I have had succes using Antamedia  DHCP server and a the simple 1 to 1 ethernet cable to vnc into "NewIT" guiPlug installed on my sheevaplug.  This is for my laptop running windows vista.
Ref GUI Plug http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,23.html

Now if I want to go to pure linux to linux it seems I have not gotton DHCP3-server
the (non GUI)  linux equivalent to work on my linux laptop, so that I can get the sheeva plug an IP address which would allow me to ssh to it, via linux Putty ssh client or to use a vnc on linux to talk to my sheevaplug.

If you are using linux to ssh into the plug (not via the serial port, but by the ethernet port)  please respond , perhaps you could assist me.

Thanks,

JM Eng.

bwooster0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:27:37 PM »

From my OS X box via a terminal windows I can do "ssh root@<plug_ip_address>

it should then ask you for a password, the default is "nosoup4u"

jm_eng

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

Hello bwooster0.

Thanks for the information as to how to ssh directly from the terminal without using
PuTTY.

My major issue is that  the plug's ip address is not static, and the plug computer, if you do "$ifconfig" via the serial terminal, will not tell you what  the IP address was assigned, since without the DHCP server to assign it, it does not know what it is.

If you have the plug attached to a router - it may have a built in DHCP server, but a simple cable from the plug to my
laptop does not have this.

So I need either to assign a static IP address (I have never done this, but believe it would be possible) or I need to
get a working DHCP server on my Linux laptop (Like AntaMedia DHCP server on windows laptop ) and see what IP address was assigned to the plug.

Regards,
jm_eng

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: