• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone preorder d2plug?  (Read 7984 times)
dmb

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:23:21 AM »

I preordered it in the beginning of June, and very disappointed that it has been delayed until end of July.

Anyway, anyone know if it can run vanilla debian, or what kind of wireless chipset is inside?

rmwebs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »

I'm very disappointed with its specs.

800Mhz is a major step down, especially when you can pick up a BeagleBoard which is 1Ghz w/ 1GB RAM and has an inbuilt graphics chip. Its actually no more expensive either and its a doodle to pick up a cheap project box from Maplin or similar to use as a case.

Very disappointed. The Sheeva platform has been stale for over a year, with a release of the dream plug which was effectively just an updated SheevaPlug. After all this time you would have thought that we would have a 1.2Ghz sheeva with 1GB RAM by now! Sad

dmb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:07:15 PM »

Mine got shipped today! Its about time!

jk-menifee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »

I got my d2plug and it looks really good. Unfortunately, the root password doesn't appear to be "nosoup4u"; I'll be emailing Global Scale and I'll post the response, but in the meantime does anyone here know? It ships with Ubuntu 10.04., and the autologin user is "ubuntu".

jk-menifee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »

I guess I could've been more clear, to use sudo all I need is the default password for the "ubuntu" user; I know root is disabled in Ubuntu.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »

if it is Ubuntu as you say the root password is disabled so you should be able to set it with:

sudo passwd root

or keep using sudo which is probably not such a bad idea.

dmb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »

Now I want to be able to see the downloads for this device!

dmb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »

Actually I see some downloads here: http://www.plugcomputer.org/downloads/d2plug/

jk-menifee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:41:22 AM »

Yes what I should've asked for in my first post was if anyone knows what the default (shipped) password is for the "ubuntu" user; with that I could use sudo. No response yet from GlobalScale Technologies.

dmb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »

They have not even updated the website saying the product is being shipped also!

jk-menifee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »

I got an email back saying to try the password "marvell"; I'll try it tonight; if I don't post again then please assume it worked!

SpeedAddict

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »

As jk-menifee mentioned, the account user details are:
username: ubuntu
password: marvell

It's actually on a small piece of paper in the box that the D2Plug comes in.

Anyway, has anyone else had a good play with their D2Plug? I'm struggling to get WiFi working on it. I managed to set WiFi settings in the Networking section, but WiFi doesn't appear in the top right hand corner under selectable network options. Also, "iwconfig" doesn't seem to show any WiFi devices.

vleek

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »

I got two D2Plugs, and they work a bit differently. I enabled WiFi on both. The first one does have WiFi sign on top of the screen, can recognize available networks SSIDs, but does not connect, probably due to security key issue (did not have enough time to play with). The second one still shows "Wireless Network Disconnected", doesn't recognize SSIDs. In both cases iwconfig show mlan0 (instead of wlan0) working, but not getting IP address from router.
BTW. Did you install "d2plug-wifi-bt.deb" package?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:22:33 PM by vleek » Logged

kstaniek

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »

I was not able to make wireless working. I'm not sure if the driver supports WPA2. I haven't tried any other method. Has anyone working wireless on D2Plug?

mandm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »

hi i have a d2plug now, have you been able to make it work as wireless access point? just similar to the dreamplug?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: