• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: high load with rootfs on NAND  (Read 1009 times)
Nematocyst

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »

My plug home server recently crashed due to a bad power supply.  After getting the replacement power supply from GlobalScale, its duties had been moved to a different server, and I decided to install Debian on the NAND as described here.

After some minor issues, I had it up and running.  Only the load never drops below 0.15, and is always between 0.2 and 0.15 when completely idle.  The only thing I could think to do to mitigate this was to remount the rootfs (UBIFS) with "noatime".  This did not help.

It reminded me of when I first got the plug computer and booted the default Ubuntu.  I saw exactly the same behavior.  After I installed Debian to an external drive and booted it from USB, the problem was gone, so I decided the problem was Ubuntu.  I now realize the problem had nothing to do with Ubuntu and everything to do with the rootfs on NAND.

Can anyone shed light on why this should be happening?  And is there anything to do about it?  The reason I'd like to install to NAND is it is inconvenient to install Debian on the only USB port the device has.  If the device had 2 USB ports, I would have just installed Debian to one and not bothered with NAND at all.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:32:56 PM by Nematocyst » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: