• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ethernet Mixup  (Read 1318 times)
stuffduff

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »

Hi,

I've got two SheevaPlugs.  Set each to boot off of SD card.  The first plug works correctly and brings up eth0 w/o problems.  The second plug, with a 'dd' cloned copy of the SD card from the first, won't load eth0, but will load eth1.  What do I need to dig into to get the second SheevaPlug to load eth0 by default?

Thanks,

Sean

stuffduff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:54:15 PM »

Oops!  Solved my own problem.

Seems that /etc/sysconfig/networkscripts/70-persistent-net.rules got a line added to it, giving the system the illusion of two ports.  I deleted both entries, halted, reset and it's happily up as eth0.  Gotta remember to modify my 'image' to remove the entry for eth0.

Thanks anyway,

Sean

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »

I ran into that issue as well some time, ago and deleting the file did solve the problem. However reading your post I think it's time for me to understand the following:

I understand while booting the "same/cloned" system in an indentical HW it would add an extra line for the new eth inf / MAC found.
But shouldn't it be labled eth0 as well! (as there's just one eth interface in the system)? Why is it getting a higher number?
Does the SheevaPlug's board design offer a potential second eth interface?

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »

This is udev issue, nothing to do with hardware. the udev was design to maintenance MAC to name rule. so the very first time udev detect the ethernet interface it create a rule to map the NIC's MAC to eth0. Once you have second NIC it will map to eth1 because eth0 already exist in the rule file. since you clone the file system the rule file also get copy to second plug. And since your second plug have different NIC/MAC it will give it a name "eth1".

Good Luck Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: