• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good silent external drive ?  (Read 1411 times)
toyg

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a good, silent external drive to use with plugs. It's very difficult to tell from manufacturers' specs how noisy these things can be.

At the moment I'm using a WD MyBook 250Gb which is a few years old, and I can hear it spinning up&down even when I place it a closed cupboard (your average Ikea Billy).

Any suggestions ?

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »

I recently bought a 2TB Fantom drive. It seems very quiet and is ultra fast. There is a fan to cool is down but you really have to stick
your ear to it to know it is there.

It is connected to the esata port of my PC for the moment but its final place will be on my Guruplug

pietsnot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:45:01 AM »

i'm using a SAMSUNG HD204UI 2tb sata disk in a cheap "Diginote storage enclosure (3,5", usb2.0 and sata)", which is connected to the gp+'s sata interface, that's silent enough for me.

[unbricked]2xguruplug-server+2xjtag>nslu2;debian squeeze; [4|8]gb mmc:rootFS+swapFS; sata-hd 2tb; Linux-kernel-2.6.35.12; U-Boot_2010.03-01266; iptables:FW+router+gw;dhcpd;sshd;sabnzbd;vsftpd;exim4;rTorrent; nfs[d]; autofs; xorg; icewm; iceweasel; xrdp; privoxy+tor; apache; smbd; mediatomb>pch-a110

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: