• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flash Uboot on Bricked Dreamplug?  (Read 4563 times)
dmb

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »

Ok, I have not bricked my dreamplug yet, but I want to be able to reflash uboot before I start messing around with it (I am notorious for bricking things, and I LOVE writing zeros to the nand). Has anyone got Openocd working? I am looking at the runme.sh script from the guruplug, which is what I used for the guruplug, and it seems it requires some hardware specific config files. I notice http://code.google.com/p/dreamplug/downloads/detail?name=dream_burn_spi.tar.bz2, but this seems to be some dump of someones home directory or something.

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »

Please be very careful, if you brick you dreamplug than unless you sent it back to GST there is no way to recover. openocd have no support on spi to flash. there is no u-boot source code for you to build a new one for you self. the 'dream_bum_spi.tar.bz2' have a uboot binary but no sure if any one tested so I would not depend on it.

You can always make your test code save to the internal uSD, just be sure you have one partition formated in "fat" current u-boot only support load from "fat" file system.

good luck Smiley

Good Luck Smiley

dmb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »

Does openocd have any access to the internal NAND, or just the sdcard (sorry, not really sure what SPI is)

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:02:36 AM »

Dreamplug is different from the previous plug is that internal storage changed from NAND to NOR, so the access interface changed too. to access the NOR device it go through the SPI interface. also the NOR device MX2510606 is not a well known flash device so far I have yet to find the exact specification for the device. As right now all the main line linux, uboot and openocd have no code support this device.

I been try to reverse engineering to work out a u-boot, so far I still in research stage. Once I got a working version I will post to this forums for the daring soul to try Smiley

Good Luck Smiley

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »

the 'dream_bum_spi.tar.bz2' have a uboot binary but no sure if any one tested so I would not depend on it.

FWIW, I am running this version of u-boot.  I wrote it from a working u-boot, so this doesn't really help with a bricked device.  Just FYI that the newer u-boot version in that file seems to work fine.  I haven't really looked to see what changed.

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:46 AM »

So the command you use to flash is "sf probe 0; sf erase 0 ...; sf write 0" ? I was not sure if the "sf" command work will.

Good Luck Smiley

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »

I did this:

sf probe 0
sf erase 0x0 0x100000
sf write 0x6400000 0x0 0x100000

radael

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »

I did this:

sf probe 0
sf erase 0x0 0x100000
sf write 0x6400000 0x0 0x100000

As an unrelated aside, might be safer to write.e instead of just write (ignores bad blocks).

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:14:26 PM »

As an unrelated aside, might be safer to write.e instead of just write (ignores bad blocks).

Does write.e work with sf?  I didn't try it.

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »

Thanks for the information.

I think NOR is different than NAND is there should be no bad block, at least from source code I don't see and bad block management (as there no {read/write}.e subcommand)

Good Luck Smiley

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »

I think NOR is different than NAND is there should be no bad block, at least from source code I don't see and bad block management (as there no {read/write}.e subcommand)

That's what I thought too.

radael

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »

Ah, thanks.  Trying to help, but was not following the thread closely enough (just responded to the one post).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: