• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dreamplug Cant Boot From USB drive  (Read 2095 times)
bazza14

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:34:16 AM »

Hi,
Like most newbies I'm having a few problems. I've posted elsewhere about no network and to help identify where the problem is I thought I'd boot from a USB drive. There is a comprehensive article here http://code.google.com/p/dreamplug/downloads/detail?name=DreamPlug%20-%20Change%20OS%20from%20Ubuntu%20to%20Debian-20110617.pdf&can=2&q= however it fails to boot claims the file format is wrong.
The uboot env has been changed thus
Code:
Marvell>>setenv x_bootcmd_kernel fatload usb 2 0x6400000 uImage
Marvell>>setenv x_bootargs_root root=/dev/sdc2 rootdelay=10
and
Code:
fatls usb 2 /
lists the uimage file.
I've tried 2 different uImage files, same result.
Any pointers to make this work.

bazza14

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »

Well it must be magic. I made a 3rd pendrive using the same files as the other 2 but this one is only 4GB and it worked first time. I played about a bit setting stuff up and then tried one of the 8GB drives again. It first of all said it couldn't read it then after several seconds read the uImage and booted up and has rebooted many times since.

bazza14

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »

Arrgghh it's doing it again. I tried another uImage and it refused to read it
Code:
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
. I then tried one of the usb drives that had worked ok earlier and they are giving the same problem WTF.
All feeback much appreciated, if you boot of a USB stick consistently I'd like to know.

bazza14

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:06:51 AM »

OK after much experimentation this is conclusion -- uboot is sadly lacking.
Sometimes plugging in a usb stick and resetting at the marvell prompt works (with the env set to boot from a stick)
Plugging in a stick while its off and then powering up the plug never works.
Booting off the internal card then plugging in the stick then resetting (pin in the hole) then changing the env to boot from the stick and then typing reset from the marvell prompt always works

newitjames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:00:52 AM »

I have found that some usb sticks work better than others for this. The Kingston DataTraveler G3 is the most reliable I have found.

bazza14

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »

It turns out the problem is with the formating. I was using Gparted but apparently it doesn't quite do the business using a low level tool like mkfs produces reliable drives (thanks Spinifex).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: