• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flashing LEDs meaning?  (Read 3781 times)
ronys

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2011, 11:28:48 PM »

Greetings,

After disconnecting and reconnecting my SheevaPlug from the mains, I see both  the NIC's LEDs and the green LDE (but not the adjacent bue one) flashing at about 2 Hz. Other than that, the device shows no sign of life via USB/console or NIC. Recycling power and the reset button have no effect.

Is this what a dying power supply looks like, or is this something else?

Thanks,

Rony

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:40:38 AM »

That's exactly what a dying power supply looks like.

ronys

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:17:47 AM »

That's what I was afraid of  Sad

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess it's time to crack my sheeva open and connect a spare 5V power supply to it directly. Anyone done this before?

Rony

hanker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:21:54 AM »

That's what I was afraid of  Sad

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess it's time to crack my sheeva open and connect a spare 5V power supply to it directly. Anyone done this before?

Rony

Yes

A couple of weeks ago I started powering my Sheevaplug from an external 5V 3A AC adapter. I'm using this one:

http://www.officebeyond.com/da05030a.html

I got a jack at Radio Shack that the power supply's plug will plug into. Then I removed the old power supply and the AC jack from the Sheevaplug. This leaves two holes where the AC jack was. The Radio Shack jack can then be mounted in one of those holes. There's a 4-conductor cable (two red, two black, if I recall correctly) from the old power supply to the motherboard. Cut it off at the old power supply. Solder the red wires to the positive lead on the jack, and solder the black wires to the negative lead on the jack. That's it.

ronys

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »

Thanks hanker, that's exactly what I needed! Cool My sheeva plug is back from the dead, and my junk box now has some free space, previously taken up by an unused 5V power supply.

Cheers,

Rony

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »

Good heavens, don't pay $25 for one of these external supplies.  They can be had for around $6 from eBay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=5V+3A+power+supply

(BTW, given these supplies are becoming so popular, it's probably not a bad idea to have a spare one on the shelf just in case.)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:35:46 PM by restamp » Logged

hanker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:34:28 AM »

Good heavens, don't pay $25 for one of these external supplies.  They can be had for around $6 from eBay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=5V+3A+power+supply

(BTW, given these supplies are becoming so popular, it's probably not a bad idea to have a spare one on the shelf just in case.)

Very good. Thanks for the heads-up on that. Smiley

I'm gonna get one of these from ebay for a backup.

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »

How old is your Sheevaplug ?  I heard that it was not happening on the current models.. since Globelscale had changed their supplier and was now using better components.

ronys

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »

Mine's one of the older models. Certainly > 1 year old. I hope they've improved, as I've recommended the 'plug to a friend as the platform for a product...

Rony

hanker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 06:59:43 AM »

How old is your Sheevaplug ?  I heard that it was not happening on the current models.. since Globelscale had changed their supplier and was now using better components.

I received mine in June, 2010. It may have had one of the newer, "good" power supplies - not sure. The power supply looked OK when I removed it. I wanted to run from an external power supply because of heat. The Sheevaplug runs cooler now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: