• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another Sheevabrick?  (Read 2402 times)
vputz

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:21:09 AM »

Just curious (and to log)... got my plug Thursday, plugged it in, got my ssh prompt, upgraded OS according to the wiki, installed a few apps, screwed up the dhcp.  Used my laptop to access via USB/com, which worked great, and it was back up and running all Friday.

Woke up Saturday... no access via ssh.  Tried USB/com (laptop was still connected) and it acknowledged connection but couldn't transmit.  Blue LED was not illuminated.

And then... I tried rebooting the device by unplugging/replugging... and it is completely silent now.  Replugging will not illuminate any LEDs.  Tried resetting with the switch on the side to no avail.  Tried using the power cord on my Eeepc and the cord works fine, but I can't get the plug to do anything.  Seems a bit like the problem in this thread: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=72.0.

Are there known problems in build quality with the Sheevaplug?  I know it's a devkit, but it's a fairly mature product by now I would think.  I've contacted Globalscale to get further advice/replacement, but this was pretty discouraging to have it go from brilliant to brick within two days of owning it.

statue

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »

I feel your pain.  I think Marvell is stealing everyone's money for a lousy product.  I followed the product instructions exactly in order to get familiar with the restore techniques before moving on to loading any new OSes, part of a process validation routine, when following the directions lead to a bricked plug.  Now I am going to see if any of the blogs on how to un-brick your plug work.   Community forums are great if people explain precisely what they did, never the case though.

minaya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:43:43 AM »

I broke my sheevaplug boot too, but it's easy to bring it to life. Assuming that you broke the nand uboot (blue led is off), it isn't difficult to connect via Jtag and reload uboot stuff into the nand with openocd.

http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Setting_Up_OpenOCD_Under_Linux

I had sucess with the second method.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:04:19 PM by minaya » Logged

vputz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 06:36:27 AM »

If I had been doing anything interesting such as replacing the OS, reflashing, anything, that would be one thing... maybe I didn't explain enough.

It's not that I did something and when I went to reboot, it wouldn't reboot.  It's that I kept the stock OS, left it running overnight, and in the morning it was a brick.  The ONLY thing I did to "modify" it is change the root password and run apt-get to install some packages.  This doesn't sound like a software problem--I don't get ANY leds.

When I mentioned this to Globalscale, they promised to send a replacement unit, but I haven't heard anything since.  I've prodded them with an email, but not much response.  If this continues maybe I'll go back to my beagleboard-as-server idea after all.

bgrattan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:13:27 AM »

I had the same problem.  All was fine for the first day.  I updated some packages, formatted an SD, ran the console via RS232, etc.  Things worked perfectly even after several reboots.  The next day there were no LEDs and all was dead.  GST sent me a new one which seems to be fine after a couple of days now.  The power cord on the replacement was bad but I saved the good one from the first bad unit.  Maybe their QC isn't so good.
BG

vputz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »

Just received my replacement... good after 1 day so far, but not holding my breath or putting anything critical on it just yet!  We'll see; I'm pleased with the replacement response. 

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: