• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Samba performance?  (Read 4043 times)
solstice

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2009, 10:08:30 PM »

I have recently added a samba and USB harddisk to the Sheeva plug computer. When I test the file transfer, I max out around 18Mb/sec when I know the USB hub and USB harddisk could actually go up to 30MB/sec if I do a straight copy. I also notice that some of the VM option typically recommended by Samba is not there. Have any body have experience on optimizing samba performance with the Sheeva plug computer?

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »

I haven't tested any transfer speeds in samba yet.  Playing videos from vlc on another computer seems ok.   

I'm having authentication problems.  Mapping network drives, under the two windows computers I have takes a very long time.  At least 30 to 60 seconds.  I'm just using the out of the box configurations with workgroup changed to my workgroup name.  I'm using the  [homes] share definition.

Anybody else have this problem?

solstice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:00:06 PM »

I do not have the long login problem. I recommend checking the following:

1. Check how your samba password is being read. Is it the right command sequence? the set of command you should check are:
passwd * in the smb.conf

2. I always have a usermap. I am not sure if that helps or not.

3. I always create smbpasswd over the unix one. To do so, just do smbpasswd -a username

It basically creates a copy of the samba password. It is great for keeping unix password different than the regular one.

In any case, I have an update on the performance.

1st. I changed from anticiptatory io scheduler to noop. That seem to work quite well until until something starts to slow me down. I believe the low bandwidth of USB is coming to hurt me.

2nd. I messed around with a few classic option of the smb.conf:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384

In addition, I strongly believe I picked the wrong file system. The reason is that xfs may be too resource hungry for it to be efficient. Something simple like ext3 may have been a better choice. I won't be able to know for certain until I get chance to migrate. That will won't be for a long time.

pauldy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 12:03:57 AM »

I haven't tested any transfer speeds in samba yet.  Playing videos from vlc on another computer seems ok.   

I'm having authentication problems.  Mapping network drives, under the two windows computers I have takes a very long time.  At least 30 to 60 seconds.  I'm just using the out of the box configurations with workgroup changed to my workgroup name.  I'm using the  [homes] share definition.

Anybody else have this problem?

Reverse name resolution is probably the issue here.  As a test add the ip of the machine your connecting form to the /etc/hosts file with a name.
Like:
Code:
192.168.0.2 spiffypc

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 06:51:10 AM »

I moved 30 gig of stuff from my Windows box to a USB drive on the plug, via Samba. Constant 25 megabytes / second, with peaks near 30.

Maybe try networking the plug directly into your computer, see what happens? Take a router of the equation?

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:34:02 AM »

I had a look at the samba log files and I was seeing some errors.  I checked and there was no smbpaswd file.  I had used 'smbpasswd -a <acctname>'  and it reported that it created it, but it did not.  After several tries I finally had one. 

Now I receive no errors, but I still have very long connect times.  I added both computer names in the host files of the plug and my windows boxes.    I haven't tried connecting the two boxes directly yet, because I haven't found my crossover cable yet.

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »

You already know this, but you shouldn't have to mess around with host files.

I'm using simple configurations that look like this:

[Storage]
   comment = Storage
   path = /storage/smbshare
   guest ok = no
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes

and I'm connecting from a Vista machine without issue. I had to add my user account using smbpasswd -a, as you described, but that was all it took.

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »

Right.  Normally that looks very similar to mine.  I usually do not have this problem, in fact after all these years this is the second time.  I never figured out the first, but it was with Ubuntu quite recently.  The solution there was that it was in the beginning of my build, so I just did a new installed again and it was fine. 

solstice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »

I moved 30 gig of stuff from my Windows box to a USB drive on the plug, via Samba. Constant 25 megabytes / second, with peaks near 30.

Maybe try networking the plug directly into your computer, see what happens? Take a router of the equation?

I believe the xfs was the wrong choice for the file system when using the drive under USB. What file system did you choose for your USB drive?

plugit
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:28:46 AM »

I believe the xfs was the wrong choice for the file system when using the drive under USB. What file system did you choose for your USB drive?

I used ext3. I didn't put much thought behind it; I'd expect similar performance from most filesystems... The bottleneck is the USB 2.0 interface.

edit: I've never tried xfs, maybe I'll give that a go on a spare partition and see what the difference is?

Wouldn't it be cool if the SheevaPlug had eSATA?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:34:26 AM by plugit » Logged

solstice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:01:04 AM »

I bench mark the file transfer performance with ext3. There were no performance differences. I may need to tweak my kernel performance such as kernel priorities and add a few more io scheduler options. In any case, I too wish there was an eSATA output connection on the plug computer.

I forgot to mention this problem seem to only occur on Windows VISTA machine. When I connect the same Windows VISTA machine to a file server using x86 opteron processor, then transfer speed can go up to 40MB/sec to 50MB/sec. In any case, I still believe this may has something to do with how kernel treats the priorities of tasks. I will spend more time tweaking the kerenl and post my results on this fourm.

timgray

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 07:48:12 AM »

I also am getting near 25 steady and peaks at 30 for long transfers.  SMB performance on this little bugger is spectacular compared to most NAS devices.   I did disable the useless to me password stuff by setting it to share mode instead of user mode.

Also be sure you point the SMB share at the exact mount point of the Drive or you will get incorrect free space reporting.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: