• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Plug Plans ...  (Read 1424 times)
mgillespie

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »

Just need a little guidance, make sure I have not lost the plot.

I'm gonna update my plug when it arrives.

From what I can tell from the large amounts of disparate information, I have 2 options (perhaps more if I want to move away from Ubuntu).

Method 1:   Update the current install manually. ie:
   fix the broken bits from here: http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/New_Plugger_How_To
   update the packages: " apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade ; apt-get autoremove"
   update the kernel using this: http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Install_Prebuilt_Kernels_From_sheeva.with-linux.com

Method 2: use Sheevaplug installer - alpha-6.

So now my questions.   Will these 2 methods leave me roughly in the same position?  Is there advantages or disadvantages with either?  Is there anything else I need to do before I start configuring and install my specific stuff?  It's it recommended to update the bootloader?

My last question is kernel related.  My understanding is the latest 2.6.30 kernels contain **MOST** of the stuff the Marvell supplied kernel has, what exactly will I miss out on if I update?

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:11:44 AM »

the alpha installer will also upgrade the u-boot (introducing the possibility to boot from sdcard). This can also be done manualy. Unless you are interessted in a detailed understanding what happens, go for the installer.

the non marvell kernel have no access to the internal crypto engine.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:38:44 AM »

I like to understand how things work, so might update uBoot manually.   Is there a good concise guide on how to do this?.

I also seem to recall reading the non marvel kernels don't have power management.  Is this true?  As thats pretty big omission and a reason why I might pass on updating.

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 02:40:48 AM »

The Alpha 6 installer worked much better for me. I followed the directions and tried to reinstall the original image but I had issues with performance and lockups. With Alpha 6 installer and new 2.6.30 kernel, my Sheevaplug is running great.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 03:46:54 AM »

I like to understand how things work, so might update uBoot manually.   Is there a good concise guide on how to do this?.

I also seem to recall reading the non marvel kernels don't have power management.  Is this true?  As thats pretty big omission and a reason why I might pass on updating.

there are two ways to upgrade uboot. Either directly write to nand using jtag (you need this to recover from a bad uboot upgrade) or boot into uboot and then tftp the new binary.

Writing to nand using jtag is covered in the alpha installer. I haven't investigated how to prepare a fitting binary.

Compiling your own uboot and writing it using tftp goes like this.

to compile your uboot (based on uboot 1.1.4 + marvel patches + sd-card patches) follow thread http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=183.0

or search the thread there is a ready compiled binary attached.

to write using tftp

* setup tftp server in your network. place uboot.bin in tftp root folder.
* boot plug to uboot (hit key to prevent autoboot)
* set plug ip (setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.10) and tftp ip (setenv serverip 192.168.1.2)
* flash image from tftp (bubt u-boot.bin)
* reset plug (reset)

It looks like the cpuidle patch made it into mainline linux 2.6.31-rc4, no idea if it is already in earlier releases

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: