• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GPlugD observations  (Read 3320 times)
gweiler

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:07:49 PM »

I've been playing the the GPlugD for a few days now and here are some additional observations.  In my previous post I made mention of the constant stream of block errors on the SD card.  Marvell contacted me regarding my post and explained that the new version 2 kernel solves that problem.  Sure enough, wiping the SD card and replacing the Kernel and the root_fs does, in fact, solve those issues and renders the GplugD much more stable.  Globalscale should consider putting the later buids on the plugs up front or at least post a message about this as it took a couple of days before I replaced the SD images. 

There is a mp4 file titled "The American" on the GUI.  For me, clicking this file causes a browser to open and start playing the file.  About 1-2 seconds into the file playing the screen tears, goes black and then the system crashes.  I'm not sure what's going on there but the Marvell folks tell me that their system doesn't do that so... I have no explanation or actually any interest is solving this as it is not really germain to what I am doing with the plug.

MySQL 5.0.51a will not install on the device. PERIOD!.  3 days of messing with it failed.  During configuration apt-get and aptitude both report that there are unresolved dependencies that preclude configuring or running mysqld.  It aborts immediately after starting and before writing a error log.  It's just gone!  Appache2 runs fine.

I have decided to see if I can get Squeeze to run on the device and that's what I am currently doing.  So far the only messages I have received from the upgrade is that the UImage does not support dependency booting.  We shall see if the system boots when it gets done.  More to follow...

netter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »

i too have bought a gplugd bought haven't gotten to doing anything to it since i'm waiting on some microsd cards 8giggers. Anyways it seems it's picky with boot devices, ie usb disks... maybe it only takes microsd cards until you edit the uboot. Anyways following the documentation for setting up a bootable disk I have 2 questions:

1) does actually labelling the partition name of the kernel and rootfs really let it boot, or does the label not matter. I've noticed the documentation differs from the label names on the 4 gig microsdhyc card that came with the device

2) what are you're experiences with uboot and booting from different devices?

gweiler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »

I haven't actually tried to boot from other devices.  I pulled the 4 gig card and simply made a 16Gb card with the proper partitions (name them the same as what's in the shipping 4G chip, otherwise they won'y boot).  Their documentation is all over the place.  I've found that naming things like they are on the working device is the path of least resistance.  I didn't really mess around with U-Boot.  They sent me a new kernel that allowed the LAMP stack to work so I could get on with what I'm trying to do.  They aren't very good with documentation or version control.  It's sort of you get what you get and it does what it does.  Good luck.

bwooster0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »

What is the graphics performance like? I was wondering if the new "D2" plug would make a good mythtv box. Of course you can get a cheaper used laptop or atom motherboard with an nvidia chip for much cheaper than the D2!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: