• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: doimage utility  (Read 2406 times)
code4fun

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2009, 11:39:45 PM »

I am trying to locate the doimage utility used to generate the u-boot-*_400db_nand.bin. The Das U-boot article http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Das_U-boot_plug_support indicates that it is part of the DevKit CD, but I couldn't find it.

At the moment, I have built Marvell's development U-boot from the git repository and would like to burn it to the NAND flash. I am using OpenOCD to load U-boot in memory to run. I tried writing to the NAND using OpenOCD's "sheevaplug_reflash_uboot" command to write uboot.bin, but it doesn't boot. The only way I can load the development u-boot is by loading it in memory.

Here is the OpenOCD's TCL function for re-flashing u-boot:

proc sheevaplug_reflash_uboot { } {

# reflash the u-Boot binary and reboot into it
        sheevaplug_init
        nand probe 0
        nand erase 0 0x0 0xa0000
        nand write 0 uboot.bin 0 oob_softecc_kw
        resume

}

The only thing I can think of is uboot.bin expects to be in _nand.bin format. I was using the u-boot.bin that was generated from objcopy. Thanks in advance.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:57:18 PM »

You must use the doimage utility in order to wrap the u-boot.bin with the bootrom header required for booting the processor.

i thought that doimage is part of the u-boot release

yotam
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »

Please download the U-boot source from:
http://www.plugcomputer.org/index.php/us/resources/downloads?func=showdown&id=24
Thanks,
Yotam

code4fun

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:10:00 AM »

Thanks for the pointer. It's definitely there, but it was nicely tucked away and hidden in u-boot-3.4.16.zip.

Since there were so many zip files, I had unpacked the zip files initially. I must have thought the u-boot-1.1.4.tar.bz2 was the product of the u-boot-3.4.16.zip. So, I looked in the wrong place. Doh!

Thanks much!

code4fun

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:29:11 AM »

You must use the doimage utility in order to wrap the u-boot.bin with the bootrom header required for booting the processor.

i thought that doimage is part of the u-boot release

It is, I just looked in the wrong place. Sorry about that. I have installed Marvell's u-boot from git and booting Orion kernel now. Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: