• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plug computer to support non US powerpoints?  (Read 4354 times)
SuperRoach

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »

Seeing as the plugcomputer itself is so tiny, I'd love to get one for being a low maintenance, basic webserver.

Since I'm in australia though, Will it be available with an australian plug, or the plugs be changeable in general?

Our standard connections are three prong/ 10A/240V  , as seen on wiki:

It is the AS 3112 type.

More info on here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Some images appear to show the prong itself as being detachable from the actual board itself. If this is true, are the prongs changable, and if so with off the shelf parts, or proprietary stuff?

Skywalker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »

Hi,

from the "SheevaPlug Development Kit - Reference Design-Rev1.0.pdf" from Marvell I copied this:
The SheevaPlug Development Kit package is shipped with the following components:
One SheevaPlug including the SheevaPlug board and Debug adapter
USB Cable
Ethernet Cable
CD containing software and documentation
North American Power Cord (7A/125V)
The power cord can be used instead of the A/C plug on the SheevaPlug.

You can apparently remove the A/C plug and plug in a Power Cord which is hopefully a standard one (cfr one for a standard VCR). Looking at Figure 1.2 in the same Spec I am rather hopeful you will be able to use a standard power cord. I am having the same problem (I dont live in US).

lamestllama

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »

Hi

Look at the images at http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/gallery.html

One shows that us Australians will be ok using a standard lead.  The unit is labeled to use 240v and it takes one of those figure 8 type leads.

I have one on order already but it seems they wont be shipping for a few days.

Regards

lamestllama

rcm89

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »

It does come with a ~6 ft power cord, if nothing else you can snip off the US end and install a local replacement plug on the end of the wire.

--Ron

--Ron

Tiibiidii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »

yesterday i was about to buying a sheevaplug, then i saw this note @ http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-22-sheevaplug-dev-kit.aspx

Note: At the moment we just have a version for U.S. wall socket; power adaptor may be required to take this US plug to fit for other countries

from the system components table:

Power input: 100-240VAC/50-60Hz 19W
DC Consumption: 5V/3.0A

i live in europe (230V/50Hz), and from what you were saying i thought that changing the plug was enough, but now i'm not so sure Undecided

i fear that a transformer would defy the purpose of being a low-power device  Undecided

LIghtmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »

I'm from Europe too (Romania) and I am fairly sure it  will as long as it operates on 50Hz.Just get a adapter and yank in the socket.

lamestllama

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »

Hi you guys in Europe. I just got my plug no problem with 240V and 50Hz. You just plug in the cable and it works

Tiibiidii

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »

thank you both for the feedback: i've just ordered mine Cheesy

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: