• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dreamplug - First look inside the next evolution in plug computing  (Read 9798 times)
newitjames

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:29:48 AM »

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1078.0.html

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:05:10 AM »

Love it! If it had an HDMI out, it'd definitely by MY dream, but it's pretty close. Looks like they've learned from the Guruplug failure. Any word on what one of these will cost?

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:29:31 AM »

GST have it at $149, which means if you are in the UK it will cost you:

So thatís £124.74 delivered, plus VAT and FedEx charge for handling the VAT (£24.75+£10)

Total Price to the UK £159.49

New IT price will be about £135 including delivery within the UK.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:40:34 AM »

Have to wait for the Dreamplug and jtag offer then ?.

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »

Nice to hear from someone who's actually seen one.  Can you comment on a couple things?:

- It looks like the JTAG port has a uSD from factor.  How does this work?  Is it compatible with my guru JTAG box?  If so, how do I connect it?  Do I need a special cable?
- I'm still skeptical about whether the Guruplug reliability problems were ever fully understood (and whether they were all thermal related).  Have you done any testing under high I/O loads?  I'm particularly interested in running with wifi in client mode with lots of wifi traffic.  Is the wifi chip the same as the Guruplug and if so, are the supplied drivers the same version or newer?

Thanks!

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »

Now available to be pre ordered: http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=DreamPlug

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »

Nice to hear from someone who's actually seen one.  Can you comment on a couple things?:

- It looks like the JTAG port has a uSD from factor.  How does this work?  Is it compatible with my guru JTAG box?  If so, how do I connect it?  Do I need a special cable?

You can use your Guruplug JTAG with a standard cable.

- I'm still skeptical about whether the Guruplug reliability problems were ever fully understood (and whether they were all thermal related).  Have you done any testing under high I/O loads?  I'm particularly interested in running with wifi in client mode with lots of wifi traffic.  Is the wifi chip the same as the Guruplug and if so, are the supplied drivers the same version or newer?

Thanks!

James has been playing with it, not me, and I believe that we don't have any specific tests for high loads. What I can tell you is that:

• it does seem to have basically the same rootfs as the Guruplug (including the wireless stuff), but it most certainly doesn't overheat. (The power adapter is separated from the main board, in a moulding that can be joined on to the main unit). There's also good heat dissipation from the heatsink.
  • As far as I understand it, the rootfs is not necessarily finalised.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:45:50 AM by marcus » Logged

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:23 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

You can use your Guruplug JTAG with a standard cable.

OK, I'll take your word for it.  But I'm still confused because the Dreamplug seems to have that uSD connector instead of the "standard" JTAG connector the Guruplug has.

Thanks!

James has been playing with it, not me, and I believe that we don't have any specific tests for high loads. What I can tell you is that:

• it does seem to have basically the same rootfs as the Guruplug (including the wireless stuff), but it most certainly doesn't overheat. (The power adapter is separated from the main board, in a moulding that can be joined on to the main unit). There's also good heat dissipation from the heatsink.
  • As far as I understand it, the rootfs is not necessarily finalised.

I'm curious because of this thread (http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,455.0.html) where a user claims that GSI sent him newer wifi driver source that solves the Guruplug instability issues when running as a wifi client.  I haven't had a chance to try it.

newitjames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »

Hi Fletch,

The Jtag from a Guruplug works with the Dreamplug. I have not tried reflashing using it though.

The cables are exactly the same. I will photo and post if you like.

I am testing the wifi client drivers I have been supplied with it.

Does anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't boot beyond sheeva.with-linux kernel 2.6.35.10?

I am happy to answer any questions about it whilst it's running on my desk.

newitjames

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »

Does anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't boot beyond sheeva.with-linux kernel 2.6.35.10?
Why - are you saying that it doesn't?

newitjames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »

>Why - are you saying that it doesn't?

Yes, on sheeva.with-linux kernels 2.6.36 onwards it gets stuck at this line:

loop: module loaded

Could it be to do with it having no Nand? on a succesful boot the next line reports;

No NAND device found.

newitjames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 02:39:15 AM »

I'm still skeptical about whether the Guruplug reliability problems were ever fully understood (and whether they were all thermal related).  Have you done any testing under high I/O loads?  I'm particularly interested in running with wifi in client mode with lots of wifi traffic.  Is the wifi chip the same as the Guruplug and if so, are the supplied drivers the same version or newer?

I have tested the wifi client that came with the Dream. I have installed xfce4 desktop, tightvnc and Frozen-bubble then connected to it wirelessly via Vnc and left it running the Frozen-bubble demo for 12hrs.
I also installed left a constant ping running and installed other packages via synaptic during testing. No problems were encountered.

The kernel and wifi drivers are:
Linux version 2.6.33.6 (root@localhost.localdomain) (gcc version 4.2.0 20070413 (prerelease) (CodeSourcery 2007q1-10. Marvell 2008q3-13 20081204)) #1 PREEMPT Sun Dec 5 22:56:10 CST 2010
SD-WLAN-BT-UART-BT-8688-LINUX2625-SAAR-10.49.3.p70-26609.P64_B1.tar

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:44:20 AM »

Thanks for testing.  That appears to be the same driver version that the guy in that other thread received from GSI (and which worked well on his Guruplug).  It makes me feel better about ordering one of these (but it also makes me wonder whether reliable Guruplug operation is also possible with this driver.)

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »

SD-WLAN-BT-UART-BT-8688-LINUX2625-SAAR-10.49.3.p70-26609.P64_B1.tar

The version distributed with the official Guruplug rootfs is:
$Id: sd8688-B1, RF868X, FP38, 10.38.3.p49 $

Abra

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:17:29 AM »

Is there any chance you could run a test on the usage of both gig ports at the same time?
Something like sending /dev/zero on one device to /dev/null on another device, via netcat? And do it twice (to use both ports), in order to confirm that there are no more heating issues?
Thank you very much

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: