• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Switching On and Off  (Read 2269 times)
bedek

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2011, 04:55:55 AM »

Hi,

I'm using Seagate Dockstar as plug computer working as nas in my local network.

As Dockstar don't have any button for switching on and off (as well as Sheevaplug) I would like to discuss possible options.
My target is to have ON-BUTTON solution which means that router + modem + nas will be switched on and off using only one button - to simplify process of turning on and off.

To clarify upfront:
- I don't want to run network devices 24/7 - if we add up router + modem + nas it might some power consumption
- I don't know solution although I've few thoughts.

Possible solutions:

1) script for monitoring router activity - this solution is partial - it only allows for switching off Dockstar and is based on cron script which pings every 5 seconds router ip and if there is no response it shuts down itself, the problem is that if the router goes up again Dockstar can't sense it

2) ups solution - Dockstar is connected to one plug of extension lead which have switches together with router and modem, switching on will bring up all devices, switching off will immediately turn off router and modem while Dockstar will be connected to UPS which at this stage will inform Dockstar over USB cable to turn it self off - problem with this solution is that using UPS might have influence on the power consumption

3) wake-on lan - this probably is not supported by Dockstar but if it was then my router (ddwrt) can wake up any device on the web when switched on - so with combination of script for monitoring router activity it would be some solution

4) special type of extension lead - automatically switches off standby products when your main device is switched off, where main device would be router and modem and standby device would be nas (dockstar). Dockstar would run script to check if router is still up and switch it self down when router is down - the only problem with this type of extension leads it that they do not have build in delay time between main device and standby device which would give time to nas to run shutdown sequence Sad

What are you thoughts ?

bedek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »

Another option:

- timer used for bathroom fan
I've just found this device:
http://www.elektrobock.cz/en/timer/product.html?id=6
it's typically used for delayed switching off bathroom fan after the lights are turned off.

So the idea is:
- switching on (router + modem + nas) - just turn on all the device with one button
- switching off - router + modem are turned off immediately, while nas runs every 5 seconds script to check if router is active and if not then shuts it self down, nas power adaptor is connected over device with time delayed off so it's got time to shut itself gracefully.

colinl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »

Another option:

- timer used for bathroom fan
I've just found this device:
http://www.elektrobock.cz/en/timer/product.html?id=6
it's typically used for delayed switching off bathroom fan after the lights are turned off.

So the idea is:
- switching on (router + modem + nas) - just turn on all the device with one button
- switching off - router + modem are turned off immediately, while nas runs every 5 seconds script to check if router is active and if not then shuts it self down, nas power adaptor is connected over device with time delayed off so it's got time to shut itself gracefully.

Note the minimum power spec of 10 Watts on the that device.  It uses a triac for switching and may not work with the Dockstar which is speced at 5W I believe

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: