• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: DreamPlug  (Read 13667 times)
Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 02:36:55 AM »

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-5-dreamplugs.aspx

$149

Orders shipping in Feb Wink

We'll see...

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 02:39:31 AM »

Uses the (optional) Guruplug JTAG board.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 02:45:01 AM »

Okay, Peter, I tried reasoning with you, now you're just being obtuse.

You are asking for world peace, Yes , They should be world peace, But talking about it doesn`t make it true.
Yes they should, but that does not make it so.
You are fighting over a point which everyone agrees. THEY SHOULD BE 

Dammuozz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 03:26:40 AM »

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/c-5-dreamplugs.aspx

$149

Orders shipping in Feb Wink

We'll see...

149$ ??

please take a look at "details" on this page....then have a look where it says 79$...
...on mini-itx.com there's a video where a pc built with that mobo+cpu and an ssd drive draws 19 W in idle and 26W at full load...

I think that at globalscale they're losing the direction...I think the sheevaplug as their first plug is still the more stable, and reasonably priced  thing they built.

sorry about the 200 grammar errors I committed, however think of it...
dammuozz

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »

please take a look at "details" on this page....then have a look where it says 79$...
at the details page I did only see:
US Model -           Price $149.00 (USD)    and
US Model + JTAG - Price $179.00 (USD)

BTW: I would like to see/hear about: "We have a small robust product which draws under 5 watts of power"

Blüto

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 08:55:50 AM »

It depends upon the perspective, doesn't it?  Sure might seem like a rip-off to package the JTAG separately if you only plan to buy one unit.

It's a rip-off to package the JTAG separately if that's the only way to recover the device from brickville.

But, maybe if you've got something to sell to the public, you buy 100 Plugs and one JTAG port.  That way, you don't have to pay for the FDDI chips, etc. for all the sale units.

That's really poor strategic thinking. Field upgrades are impossible without the FDDI chip. Your customers can't just tether it to their PC and use their AmahiTunes Poseurware to synchronize, reflash or extend the plug's firmware, they would have to ship the whole unit back to you. Or you could send them an updated MicroSD and dare them to violate their warranty by opening the case and atempting to replace it themselves (unless you also intend to turn your back on your customers after their worthless 30-day warranty expires, just like GST did to you), or introduce your customers to GST's exciting new Disposable Computing concept where they simply throw away their old plug computer and buy a new one every year (or after every power supply burnout, whichever come first).

Has it occurred to you that even the cable of the GuruPlug JTAG board was coincidentally designed to break or wear out after just a few insertion/removal cycles? You'll need well more than just one of them to flash your hypothetical 100 Plugs, and since the cables aren't sold separately from the JTAG board they have an effective replacement cost of $30. You'd be better off buying 100 JTAG boards and shipping those in the box (along with a note of apology for the shoddy design, construction and workmanship of your products) to your customers.

.Will

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 08:59:58 AM »

I didn't find it possible to modify/edit the first post; I wanted to include more attachments. So I'm attaching them here, before they get pulled for any reason. The attachments are: description & price, specs, features and dimensions. I like to take screenshots - alleviates the possibility of error.

* DreamPlug desc + price.jpg (82.57 KB, 477x715 - viewed 948 times.)

* DreamPlug specs.jpg (76.46 KB, 550x631 - viewed 971 times.)

* DreamPlug features.jpg (39.85 KB, 461x334 - viewed 962 times.)

* DreamPlug dim.jpg (39.07 KB, 364x673 - viewed 1055 times.)

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 09:39:32 AM »

It depends upon the perspective, doesn't it?  Sure might seem like a rip-off to package the JTAG separately if you only plan to buy one unit.

It's a rip-off to package the JTAG separately if that's the only way to recover the device from brickville.

But, maybe if you've got something to sell to the public, you buy 100 Plugs and one JTAG port.  That way, you don't have to pay for the FDDI chips, etc. for all the sale units.

That's really poor strategic thinking. Field upgrades are impossible without the FDDI chip. Your customers can't just tether it to their PC and use their AmahiTunes Poseurware to synchronize, reflash or extend the plug's firmware, they would have to ship the whole unit back to you. Or you could send them an updated MicroSD and dare them to violate their warranty by opening the case and atempting to replace it themselves (unless you also intend to turn your back on your customers after their worthless 30-day warranty expires, just like GST did to you), or introduce your customers to GST's exciting new Disposable Computing concept where they simply throw away their old plug computer and buy a new one every year (or after every power supply burnout, whichever come first).

Has it occurred to you that even the cable of the GuruPlug JTAG board was coincidentally designed to break or wear out after just a few insertion/removal cycles? You'll need well more than just one of them to flash your hypothetical 100 Plugs, and since the cables aren't sold separately from the JTAG board they have an effective replacement cost of $30. You'd be better off buying 100 JTAG boards and shipping those in the box (along with a note of apology for the shoddy design, construction and workmanship of your products) to your customers.

GSI has given us many reasons to think that they are either incompetent or dishonest (or both), but I just don't think their reasons here are this devious.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I really don't think they left the JTAG out just to be able to sell us another box.  The volumes must be so low that I don't believe they are making enough money to justify the cost to design, manufacture and stock a separate item just to upsell.  Who knows.

Some things I've noticed about this:
- The mechanical interface for the JTAG board appears to be uSD.  So, even though the link goes to the Guruplug JTAG board, it's not clear that if you already have one it will work with this plug (at least not without a different cable).
- The DP (like the Guruplug JTAG) also has a UART port.  If this provides console access without a JTAG board, bootloader updates should at least be possible.

.Will

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »

Warranty info as well is attached.

* DreamPlug warranty.jpg (52.31 KB, 861x236 - viewed 899 times.)

.Will

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »

Has anybody ordered one yet? I think the major issue here is its reliability and support. GST's SheevaPlug was the best, according to various sites and blogs. GuruPlug had more ports and, therefore, more options for possible applications. But, due to its overheating problems (which are well documented), it was not very reliable, at least less than its predecessor. I guess it's a question of who wants to be the guinea pig, to be the pioneer in trying the device and, perhaps, encounter problems and address them to the manufacturer. Sorry, that was a bit evil, but I always mean well Wink

Seano

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 04:20:51 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like an old portable cassette recorder ?

(or maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember them Smiley )

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 02:21:07 AM »

If the thing only draws 5 watts of power, how is it even possible to overheat? I'm definitely interested in these things. I was interested in the Guruplug as well, and I'm VERY glad I waited on that one. After the first batch goes out, and the all clear is sounded (ie, it actually works as advertised, like the Sheeva does), I'll be all over getting one.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

.Will

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »

If the thing only draws 5 watts of power, how is it even possible to overheat?

It's 19W.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »

I would say 19 watts the of max of the power supply unit .

Remember it`s a dream plug !!!!
eg a plug with 2 usb sockets which can supply the standard 500ma without going up in smoke etc.
one which will power a 2.5 hard drive without getting a powered hub .

1 amp at 5 volts equals 5 watts !!!

Read the sheevaplugs psu info :- http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-sheevaplugdetails.aspx#component

* Power input: 100-240VAC/50-60Hz Max. 20W
      DC Consumption: 5V/3.0A Max.
    * High efficiency POL DC-DC converters
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:00:12 PM by peter a » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to: