• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: DreamPlug  (Read 13216 times)
.Will

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 06:36:35 PM »

Has anybody heard of one? Any release date? I've exchanged a few emails with Global Scale and they've provided me with the attached info.

* DreamPlug.pdf (120.33 KB - downloaded 743 times.)

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:58:19 AM »

Has anybody heard of one? Any release date? I've exchanged a few emails with Global Scale and they've provided me with the attached info.

And the big question is: Will it run quite cool on Gigabit-Ethernet usage?
The detachable power-supply is a fine idea :-)
It would be cool getting a base-stand like on the PogoPlug if the original power-supply is detached- for a even better airflow?
I also like to get back the SD-Support against the MicroSD :-) 

sfzhi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:39:08 AM »

Looks nice. But I don't like the absence of internal NAND flash. Internal Micro-SD card is not quite the same.

Lack of knowledge is not such a big problem, unwillingness to learn is.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 03:50:09 AM »

Looks nice. But I don't like the absence of internal NAND flash. Internal Micro-SD card is not quite the same.
Whats the problem with internal MicroSD in your opinion?
From my point of view its seems to be better...
- you could swap it if it get faulty
- you could reprogram it externally it the content goes bad (no need for a jtag)
- you could upgrade(?) the size

.Will

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »

And the big question is: Will it run quite cool on Gigabit-Ethernet usage?
The detachable power-supply is a fine idea :-)
It would be cool getting a base-stand like on the PogoPlug if the original power-supply is detached- for a even better airflow?
I also like to get back the SD-Support against the MicroSD :-) 
That's what I asked GST and their response was that it'll be fanless. My last email to them was a concern that, with both USBs, Ethernet, BT and Wifi running all at the same time, chances are that this fanless thing will be getting even hotter that GuruPlug (and the latter has its share of problems).
On a side note, I feel a bit guilty of the fact that I'm sharing this info (particularly the PDF) b/c it specifically states at the bottom of the email that this is privileged information, shouldn't be shared with third parties, etc. I'm not a shill by all means, but isn't discussing it considered a form of free advertising?

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »

I saw a unit in a static display on the Marvell stand at CES. I asked around and was told GTS will be selling the unit in February. They will not be taking pre-orders and will only start accepting orders once they have stock. It appears they have learn't their lesson.

The unit is physically larger than the Sheeva and Guru's with large vents on the top. Therefore, I don't see heat dispersing to be a problem with this unit. The SP/DIF is of interest to me and I really like the option of changing out the SD card.

SgtPepper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »

I also just noticed that on GlobalScale's site, there is a "DreamPlug - Coming Soon!" entry under the "Products" menu.  It just sends you to the sheevaplug page, but it's still confirmation that GlobalScale has it in the works...

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »

Interesting.  Anybody ask about the price?

.Will

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »

Interesting.  Anybody ask about the price?
I have not, but I will, once I get a reply from GST. So far, I'd say it should be in the same range ($99 - $130), as most components are nearly the same.

pagercam

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »

I saw a unit in a static display on the Marvell stand at CES. I asked around and was told GTS will be selling the unit in February. They will not be taking pre-orders and will only start accepting orders once they have stock. It appears they have learn't their lesson.

The unit is physically larger than the Sheeva and Guru's with large vents on the top. Therefore, I don't see heat dispersing to be a problem with this unit. The SP/DIF is of interest to me and I really like the option of changing out the SD card.
I don't understand the "It appears they have learn't their lesson."

My understanding was in the past they took orders and couldn't deliver for a couple of months, which frustrated customers.  If they only take orders on existing stock that is better isn't it???

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

Anyone know if the JTAG is built-in?  Hard to tell from that sheet.

.Will

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »

My understanding was in the past they took orders and couldn't deliver for a couple of months, which frustrated customers.  If they only take orders on existing stock that is better isn't it???
Yes, you understand it right. They've learned/learnt their lesson in a way that now (hopefully) they'll be taking orders on what they have, as opposed to what they don't have, thus treating customers right.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »

Look at others !!! , Low cost dedicated JTAG tools for system development

Fletch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »

Yeah, "JTAG tools" is what I meant by "hard to tell".  It's not clear (at least to me) if this means I won't need an external JTAG board to access the console.  Maybe, maybe not.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »

true it is hard to be sure , But I THINK it`s going to be like the guruplug
it may even be the same JTAG board for the guruplug

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: