• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Return GuruPlug Server Plus or Unplug Fan?  (Read 2272 times)
Kenji

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:51:19 AM »

I tested my GuruPlug Plus for the 1st time today and was surprised when I heard the noise from the fan.  It sounds like a vacuum cleaner and it's very annoying.  I have 2 things in mind to solve this problem.

1. Return to GlobalScale and ask them to replace with GuruPlug Standard which I believe does not have a fan.
2. Open it up and disconnect the fan.  I only plan to use 1 ethernet port at 100Mbps, wifi and microSD slot.  I think this won't generate too much heat even without the fans running.

What would be a good thing to do?  Thank you.

Kenji

lolo84
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:31:01 AM »

Hi Kenji,

Disconnecting the fan of your guruplug will make it overheating and maybe die as it does for me. I can't advise you to replace with the standard unit since I don't know anything about this unit. But judging from my experience with Globalscale Technology ( see my other post in this forum) and all the problems I got with their product, I will demand the refund of your product and see elsewhere.

Lolo

Kenji

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »

Lolo, thanks for replying.  According to GlobalScale's website, the heat problem is due to concurrently running the network interfaces.

The problem is directly related to heat generated by the load on the CPU.   Having 2 x 1Gb Ethernets and WI-FI running concurrently with other interfaces, causes the CPU to work harder and a lot hotter. We have found the  GuruPlug ‘s small enclosure , is not efficient as we would like at heat dissipation, therefore we suggest the following as a workaround.   

The GuruPlug Server “Plus” is designed in its current form for maximum usage with one Gb Ethernet port and one 10/100Mb Ethernet port.  Whilst using the unit in accordance to these parameters will solve the majority of “heat problems”, it is highly recommended as an additional precaution you use 10/100MB speed connections for both Ethernet ports as it will further reduce the high temperatures on the enclosure surface.
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx

At the time of writing, I think they were talking about the older model without a fan.  After reading this article, I'm assuming that I can run my GP Server Plus without a fan (I'm also planning to add heatsinks) as long as I follow their recommendation to keep eth0 and eth1 at 100Mbps.  This won't work?

Kenji 

Kenji

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:56:24 AM »

I have decided to return my GP Plus to GlobalScale and get a GP Standard as replacement.  With an additinal $9, they agree to also send me a JTAG board.  I've confirmed with them that GP Standard does not have a fan.

richard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »

Note the standard does not have an sd card slot.

Kenji

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »

Richard,

I haven't received my GP Standard but based on the website below, it looks like it has.  The block diagram and pics shows that there is a microSD card slot.

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-guruplugdetails.aspx

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: