• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WINE / .net port to GURU Plug ?  (Read 2997 times)
dahoskins

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »

All  --

Searched the forum on WINE, but if anything answered this I'm afraid that I must've missed it.  I'm a total newbie to Plug PC's (sheeva plug dev kit's still in the box!).  Here's my question:

I'd like to move the functionality I've currently getting from a Viral Basic .not application from a Windoze PC to a Plug PC running WINE?   Has anyone done something similar before? If so, what problems did you run into?  If not, any general thoughts on gotchas when moving windoze / M$-dependant code to WINE? would be the expected gotcha's?

Of course, I could simply re-code the app using gcc but checking for an easy port to WINE seemed like a good idea.  Usually, I try to avoid Devil Studio stuff if I can, but speed is more important than aesthetics in the present case.

thx in advance..

Note: also a newbie to WINE on any platform, so any warnings about gotcha's there would be  much appreciated.

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »

Note: also a newbie to WINE on any platform, so any warnings about gotcha's there would be  much appreciated.

Software that runs under WINE is able to do so because it is compiled for x86 and made to behave the same in a linux environment as it would under its original Windows environment.

The Sheevaplug uses an incompatible ARM processor.

dahoskins

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »

Software that runs under WINE is able to do so because it is compiled for x86 and made to behave the same in a linux environment as it would under its original Windows environment.

The Sheevaplug uses an incompatible ARM processor.

-- thanks for the reply and the info.

D

mhtsaras

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »

If you can wait a little you may install windows on the plug because the next version of windows will support arm ...
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/01/windows-on-arm-official-but-leaves-many-questions-unanswered.ars

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: