• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poor wiring, or cool feature? My sheevaplug can stay on when unplugged! :o  (Read 1572 times)
rmwebs

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2011, 04:21:35 AM »

Hi all,

I've noticed with my Sheevaplug (eSATA edition) that if its powered up, with my USB stick plugged in, along with an ethernet cable, I can pull the power cord out, and it stays on. The current must be coming through the ethernet cable, but I'm not sure this is supposed to be happening!

Anyone else have the same "issue"? It's pretty neat, but I don't think I would wanna leave it running like that at risk of burning something out!

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:42:09 AM »

NewIT talk about power the plug via a powered usb hub , but not heard of powering the plug via the ethernet cable when you haven`t got a power over ethernet router connected .

Is it coming via the Esata port ?

rmwebs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 01:06:40 PM »

NewIT talk about power the plug via a powered usb hub , but not heard of powering the plug via the ethernet cable when you haven`t got a power over ethernet router connected .

Is it coming via the Esata port ?

Not got anything hooked up to esata at the moment. I did a little test - it will work if I leave either the USB hub (powered) connected, or if I leave the ethernet connected. With ethernet I tested it plugged into a cheap 10 10/100 switch as well as plugged into a homeplug and then finally my Mac Pro. It worked on all of them!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: