• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SheevaPlug second source?  (Read 5749 times)
restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »

I notice that plugocomputers.org is advertising Ionics as a second source for the SheevaPlug on their "buy" button now, in addition to Globalscale:

http://www.plugcomputer.org/index.php/resources/plug-providers
http://www.ionics-ems.com/plugcomputer.html

Ionics is claiming end-of-July availability, but no pricing as yet, at least online.  They are also offering two versions, the "Development Kit" version, and a "Custom Retail Version (with access to UART)".  Their case has a more sculptured appearance, with air holes in a different location than the Globalscale unit, and comes in multiple case colors.  It appears the processor board has been flipped upside down from the Globalscale packaging, too, and the location of the access hole for the reset button has been moved.  Unfortunately, none of the pics show the SDcard side of the unit.

Anyone have any more info?

Oh, FWIW, Globalscale is now offering their SheevaPlugs with two European-style electrical plugs in addition to the US version.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »

In this same vein as the above, Larry Howell passed me the following.  Seems like the little Plug is developing quite an interest:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Marvell-SheevaPlug-NAS/?kc=LXDEMNL070109

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 02:28:33 PM »

The Ionics Sheevaplugs were also featured in this weeks Electronics Weekly magazine  in the UK.

Personally, I wished I waited and ordered from Ionics, as Globalscale seem to be pretty unreliable, as my Sheeveplug is overdue and Globalscale seem to be conveniently ignoring my emails asking what's going on...

docbee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 01:12:57 AM »

Yes, delivery times of globalscale are a bit annoying. When I got mine one of the units was extremly wet (a bit of water pouring out of if when opening the paper box). But this looks more like an overseas shipping accident. Luckily, the unit works ok after drying it a day or two. To have a distributor in Europe would be nice. Hopefully, they will not apply the bad habbit of charging a hefty uplift as most companies from overseas do, when doing business here in Europe.

What remains unclear to me is, if SD card slot is part of the Ionics package. From the specs it looks like it is not, which makes it useless for my planned use.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:40:07 AM »

What remains unclear to me is, if SD card slot is part of the Ionics package. From the specs it looks like it is not, which makes it useless for my planned use.
I suspect it will be present, at least on the Developer's Kit version.  The block diagram at the bottom of the page shows "SDIO" being brought out:

http://www.ionics-ems.com/plugcomputer.html

Of course, it is impossible to tell from the pics, since one side of the unit is never shown.  Since the board itself is flipped, I suspect the JTAG daughterboard is flipped also, and this would mean the SDcard slot is on the side of the unit that is never shown.  I suppose the orientation of the Plugs in all the pictures might have been craftily done as a way to hide this "difference" from Globalscale, if indeed it will not be offered, or it may simply be that they wanted to portray the unit in such a way that it could be either the Developer's version or the Retail one.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.

scruss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »

Of course, it is impossible to tell from the pics, since one side of the unit is never shown.  Since the board itself is flipped, I suspect the JTAG daughterboard is flipped also, and this would mean the SDcard slot is on the side of the unit that is never shown.
Isn't that the SDIO slot in the front (well, okay, top) on the Developer Kit daughterboard?

hug a wind turbine today!

bji

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:09:20 PM »

So it's late August now and Ionics' web site still says that their product will be available in "July 2009".  Is this product ever going to be released?  Ionics form factor looks a little nicer than GlobalScale's ... it's a little smaller and more streamlined-looking (the Ionics one is).  But if it's just vaporware then it's not particularly interesting.  Does anyone have any insight into Ionics Sheevaplug product?

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:21 AM »

Hi,

I just had an email from Ionics saying:-

Thank you for you interest in our plug computer. Due to the long queue of orders, the earliest we can ship will be in the middle of Oct. The price is US$99 plus $30 for shipping to the UK.

However, It was NOT made clear whether that was the "full" dev version or the stripped down one!

cheers

Patrick

Magus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »

I like the look of theirs more than the Globalscale one. I tried to order pretty early on, but only got a general reply from their Sales. My former room mate is in the Philippines, so I got him to call Ionics direct.  He was told they won't be any delivered at the earliest till October. Makes me think Ionics is offering vaporware. 

Knicket

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »

After it took over 2 months to get my first plug from Global Scale I decided I want by second one from Ionics. When I emailed them, they spoke about the $99 cost and delivery in October. I want to know how many people out there have a plug from Ionics, and is their service better than Global Scale?

bji

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:39:32 AM »

After it took over 2 months to get my first plug from Global Scale I decided I want by second one from Ionics. When I emailed them, they spoke about the $99 cost and delivery in October. I want to know how many people out there have a plug from Ionics, and is their service better than Global Scale?

1. I don't think Ionics has shipped a single unit to anybody.  So no one has one outside of Ionics.

2. I noticed that the Ionics device doesn't appear to have an SD slot.  I think this makes it inferior to the GlobalScale design.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: