• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: boot menu or similar? for u-boot  (Read 1881 times)
tmk

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:12:26 PM »

Hi,

I'm new to u-boot and ARM in general. I'm just about to embark on some customization, and i'd like to be able to set up a grub or lilo style boot menu to ease the pain of switching between boot locations.

Any tips? How can i make it print out a list of options, eg:

Code:
type "run local" to boot local, or wait 3 seconds
type "run nfs" to boot from nfs
type "run nfs-unstable" to boot from nfs, using unstable kernel
type "run sd" to boot from sd
type "run usb" to boot from usb

... and have those options do the right thing?

if someone has a url explaining it, that would be great as well.

thanks
-tmk

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »

Uboot is a bit more than just a boot utility.
Have a look at the list of commands.
Here is the manual

www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/Manual

P Smiley

finkployd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »

I've configured something like a multiboot on my plug.  Take a look at the post here : http://openplug.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=36.msg264#msg264

There is no way (that I know of) to actually create and display a bootmenu, but you can get into the U-Boot environment and execute a 'run boot_sd' or 'run boot_nfs' with the way I have it configured.  If you could find a method to stop autoboot and run a few echo commands after initialization I suppose it would work as a makeshift bootmenu but I have not seen such functionality in the documentation.  However you will probably want to leave autoboot enabled and a default bootcmd set, otherwise you will need the console connected everytime the plug boots.

tmk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:44:55 AM »

I've configured something like a multiboot on my plug.  Take a look at the post here : http://openplug.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=36.msg264#msg264

yep, that's where i got the idea to begin with.. i liked the concept, but wanted something more user-friendly :)

There is no way (that I know of) to actually create and display a bootmenu, but you can get into the U-Boot environment and execute a 'run boot_sd' or 'run boot_nfs' with the way I have it configured.  If you could find a method to stop autoboot and run a few echo commands after initialization I suppose it would work as a makeshift bootmenu but I have not seen such functionality in the documentation.  However you will probably want to leave autoboot enabled and a default bootcmd set, otherwise you will need the console connected everytime the plug boots.

I was afraid of that. I notice there's a pretty big banner when u-boot starts, and i'm guessing one can probably edit that banner, since we are creating a new u-boot image as part of the kernel installation. It wouldn't be quite as 'dynamic' as one would like, but i would think it would allow autoboot to be enabled, as well as provide the appropriate instructions.

Anyone familliar enough with u-boot to know where that lives? I'll get out the hex-editor if i have to, but would prefer not to :)

-tmk

moshiach
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »

I'd serirously stay away from modifying th eu-boot image unless you know how to reflash it from a bricked plug.

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:27:24 AM »

I wondering if a topic on how to reflash from a "bricked" plug deserves some attention.  I'm not sure this wiki page is comprehensive enough: http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp

If we want innovation, then recovery steps need to be fostered and shared so people can feel comfortable taking risks knowing that they can return to a standard default configuration.

Warnings are great, but the recipe on how to cure would be even better.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: