• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Internet Connection Sharing  (Read 1987 times)
alexcwagner

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »

I have a Guruplug Standard, and I was wondering if anyone has managed to use one of these to act as a wi-fi client and then share the connection with another computer.  I did manage, with great difficulty, to figure out how to get it to act as a wi-fi client, though apparently it won't be "stable" unless I update the kernel and some drivers (which I haven't quite figured out how to do yet), but as far as turning around and sharing the connection via Ethernet, I haven't a clue.

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »

You can use iptables to set up NAT (network address translation). Here's a short explanation:

http://www.revsys.com/writings/quicktips/nat.html

You may want to use a more detailed set up with basic firewall settings, of course. If you're using something like pppoe (e.g. a DSL modem), you may also want to add something like this at the end to make sure your maximum segment size matches the maximum supported over pppoe connections (braindead firewall configurations blocking ICMP all over the Internet will otherwise wreak havok with the automatic detection of the maximum segment size (path MTU discovery); the effect is, for example, that some web sites behind such firewall configurations will appear to hang and never finish loading):

Code:
iptables -A FORWARD -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 ! -d 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

(this assumes you're using an address in the 192.168.x.x range for your LAN)

Thanks,
--Christian
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:35:10 AM by cjm » Logged

alexcwagner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »

Yeah, okay, that sounds plausible.  I'll try it when I get home.

Out of curiosity... have you actually tried this?

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:01 AM »

I'm using my plug as file, mail and Internet server and it's doing NAT for the other computers in the house. So, yes, I'm using iptables to set up NAT and it works perfectly fine. Although my iptables set up includes firewall settings as well...

Thanks,
--Christian

yasir
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »

It is too easy

You can share with wire or wifi

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »

Which part don't you get?

BTW, I just realized that the command I posted above regarding max segment size missed the parameter for the correct table(mangle):

Code:
iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 ! -d 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

alexcwagner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »

I still haven't tried this yet; I want to wait until I have a significant block of time to dedicate to this, in case it doesn't work right away.  I'll post something about it either way when I finally get around to doing this.

Has anyone successfully followed the wiki instructions for setting the guruplug as a "stable" wifi client, using the compiled versions given in the article?  If not, I guess I'll have to learn how to compile all this stuff myself. :-(  Though... then again, it'll probably be good for me to learn.

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Setting_GuruPlug_to_be_a_stable_WiFi_Client

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: