• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Loose mini-USB connector  (Read 6259 times)
draimus
« on: June 26, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »

Has anyone had problems with the mini-USB used for the serial connection not holding on to the USB cable?  Mine is constantly falling out (which makes gtkterm very upset) unless I'm careful about how the cable rests on the table.  I'm wondering if I got a bad socket on my sheeva.  The USB cable they shipped with the unit was flaky to the point of useless too, but I have so many spare cables I didn't really care.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

Yes, I have this problem, too.  At first, I thought there was some sort of signaling problem, because my PuTTY session kept dying, but then I noticed it only happened when I did something that disturbed the cable (however slight).  Luckily, I have another mini-USB-cable with a stem on it that is a mm or two longer than the supplied one, and that one seems to fit acceptably.  But, you're right: the mini-USB connector on the plug is recessed enough that not just any cable will work reliably with it.

draimus
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 06:54:15 PM »

Yeah I wondered if that might be the case.  SD slot is pretty tight on the other hand.

I suppose some warantee-voiding case modding might fix it  Grin, but I think I'll live with it for now and look for a nice long mini-usb plug.  Thanks for the info.

kens

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »

I got my SheevaPlug today, and immediately discovered I couldn't connect to the serial port.  The problem was a tragically loose mini-usb connector that comes undone if you touch it.  (This was a bit of a surprise since I'm used to cell phones that have excessively snug mini-usb connections.)  Pushing the plug in all the way and being very careful got it working.  It's interesting to see other people have this problem.

LrdShaper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:37:22 AM »

Have a same problem. I just replaced the USB cable with another one I have lying around and now it's a tight fit. No more disconnects even if I move it around

rooster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »

same here, I replaced the serial and the Ethernet cable which also was getting disconnected when bent in a certain point.

DozenCrows

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 12:02:53 AM »

I have also experienced poor USB serial connection, which seems to be down to the cable/connector.

This would manifest itself as Putty losing its connection and refusing to reconnect, and also Windows' device manager reporting problems with the USB COM device or refusing to recognise the device.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 07:58:33 AM »

Luckily, I have another mini-USB-cable with a stem on it that is a mm or two longer than the supplied one,
and that one seems to fit acceptably. 
But, you're right: the mini-USB connector on the plug is recessed enough that not just any cable will
work reliably with it.

Got the same problem with the USB-Port. The USB doesnt seem to "snap-in" like on USB-Port on other devices.
All my USB-cables doesnt click-snap-in like on my mobile-phone ror card reader.
But one of my cables fits a bit better, so that I can use the serial port.
From my point of view the usb is a bit to much recessed into the case.
The connector itself seems to be completly fine soldered to the pcb.

DetunizedGravity

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »

I also thought that the mini-USB connector was too loose at first. I also believed it was the fault of the casing that would prevent the plug to go deep enough, and tried another cable with a thinner plug. Eventually I found that there is absolutely NO problem with this connector.

In the end, it's just a metter of pushing hard enough, and everything clicks in place. Loudly and firmly. very loudly, and very firmly. Firmly enough for most people to be shy from pushing hard enough.

vitappl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:00:12 AM »

Yes, I have this problem, too. With another cable (from PS3) works fine.

Amir12
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:50:13 AM »

keep it up man very well post. i wish you Good Luck for your better Future

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »

I thought it was a kernel module problem that I couldn't send through the minicom console.  First time I ever had a problem with a USB connector.  I had no idea and took me many months....

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: