• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Received Open RD client today  (Read 6031 times)
bfmorgan
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:09:31 PM »

Just got my Open RD client today. Should we open an area in the forum for this new version of the Marvell SoC?

dieterk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »

I've got my OpenRD Base, too.
Maybe a good idea Wink

Dieter
Just got my Open RD client today. Should we open an area in the forum for this new version of the Marvell SoC?

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »

I think before a forum is started, we ought to flush out the differences.  Is it simply an enhanced version of the SheevaPlug so that topics applying to certain components would apply to both platforms?  If so, then the forum should be carefully planned so we do not have disparate threads of topics that deal with the same component or part.  Ideally, postings that apply to both are probably best kept in the SheevaPlug area, whereas posts that touch on something not available on the SheevaPlug out to be in the new forum, e.g. something to do with the two RJ12 jacks.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

dieterk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »

I will have a look at the schematics next week and figure out if the open-rd is an "enhanced" sheeva or if it's more different.
My first try running an git u-boot aren't succesful. The openrd-base board hangs after init egiga0 interface.

Dieter

I think before a forum is started, we ought to flush out the differences.  Is it simply an enhanced version of the SheevaPlug so that topics applying to certain components would apply to both platforms?  If so, then the forum should be carefully planned so we do not have disparate threads of topics that deal with the same component or part.  Ideally, postings that apply to both are probably best kept in the SheevaPlug area, whereas posts that touch on something not available on the SheevaPlug out to be in the new forum, e.g. something to do with the two RJ12 jacks.

guerby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »

Great!

A couple of questions:

- What does lspci report?
- And are the X driver and related kernel module open source / integrated upstream ?

Thanks!

shardzero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 11:40:05 AM »

Hi everyone!

Actually I've been searching the net for over two weeks to finally end up here.
Thing is I'm very power-saving oriented and want to outsource some services to devices with low power consumption.
But on the other hand I want to choose what software is running on these devices.

In short I'm looking for a system board with <10W power consumtion capable of running a Linux (at best a Debian(-derived)) OS.
And the OpenRD just looks like what I need^^
So I'm quite interested in the board and I appreciate any information I can get.

I thought that this is the right place to start with 'cause you guys already got an OpenRD.

Q1:
Now I've been reading this forum that the plug computer always consumes less than 7W ("7.0W serial + ethernet + USB HDD + 100% cpu")
http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=272.0
One of the these I'm confused about is the statement "Power: 12V/3A (36W)" on the OpenRD technical information page on the einfochips.com homepage. (http://www.einfochips.com/marvell/openrd_client_d.php)

Does that mean the power supply must be able to provide this power or how has this to be seen?
Has anyone measured the consumption of the OpenRD Client?

Q2:
Also what's on the CD shipped with the device?

Q3:
I've never used an embedded computer(with a VGA connector).
How should I imagine the boot process? Is it a similar output with a POST-screen and BIOS setup prompt where I then may choose my boot device?
Or is it more as console-like as the boot of a Microtik router board?

Q4:
Can someone digitalize the Quickstart Guide and any other valuable information? I haven't found any on the net. Only if this is not illegal / against the terms of use of course.

Q5:
Does a 2,5" SATA HDD fit into the case? It does have a connector for it, but I still wonder about it...

Well "that's it"... for now  Grin

And thanks in advance for your help!

Michael

vchetik

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »

Hi shardzero (Michael),

A1->Q1:
Average power consumption is around 7.2W. Maximum power consumption measured with all 7 USB
ports, HDD and Ethernet operational is 29.9W. In idle state system draws power of
around 4.8W. (Marvell doc.)

A2->Q2:
User Guide, tools, toolchain (gcc, etc.), u-boot, Linux Kernel, Fedora, Ubuntu, source files, bin files and hardware schematic...

A3->Q3:
- bootRom -> u-boot -> linux kernel
- no Bios but POST with u-boot
-

A4->Q4.
- The Quickstart Guide is on the CD.:-) Easy to use, if you have some experience with u-boot, gcc, Linux, etc.
- Fedora ist pre-installed and startup in init=5 with XServer. (OpenRD Client only)
- login options: tty (USB->RS232 kermit, minicom (minicom doesn't recommended for u-boot)), or ethernet (ssh root@192.168.1.1) is possible too.

A5->Q5:
It seem so. You can plug it direct to the PCB with four screws and to the PCB-SATA/Power connector.

Kind regards,

Vitaly

shardzero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:17:46 AM »

Thanks Vitaly!

Will purchase this any time soon  Cool

xnoreq

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 03:25:35 PM »

very cool!

I'd be really interested in the performance.
ComputingPlugs provides some cool benchmarks for the SheevaPlug. http://computingplugs.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Performance

If anyone would be so kind and run a few of these benchmarks, I'd really appreciate it! (CPU maybe the same as in Sheeva, Eth and SATA performance would still be interesting.)

jesterday

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:32:36 AM »

any news on differences between open-rd and sheevaplug?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: