• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sheevaplug powers off on its own  (Read 4389 times)
downtime

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »

I've been running Squeezebox Server on a Sheevaplug since July 2010 with no problems. Now it boots up like always, but after about 10-15 minutes, it unceremoniously goes dark. It has to sit for at least an hour before it can be started again.

I boot from an SD card but I get this behavior with and without the card and whether or not anything is plugged into the ethernet or USB ports.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »

what happens to the green and blue leds on top when it goes dark ?

Like all computer problems you have to work out if the problem is hardware or software , looks like hardware to me.
I would say it MAY be the psu , but not heard of that problem with the psu.

downtime

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:02:20 AM »

Thanks for your reply. Both LEDs turn off. It's as though the Plug has been unplugged.

I'm pretty sure it's hardware because I haven't updated any software other than rescanning the music library in Squeezebox Server. However, as mentioned, it still turns off even with the SD card removed.

It's strange.

Thanks for your help.

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »

Sounds just like a PSU problem.

radael

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:01:49 AM »

Yes, the more symptoms you describe, the more it begins to sound like the power supply problems reported by others.  Might be a matter of days before it goes out completely.

Any chance you are on 240V A/C main power?

Or, have you some device connected to the USB port, taking power from the Plug?

downtime

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:35:14 AM »

Yes, I'm on a 240V line (in Vietnam). I also have an external USB hard drive but it has its own power supply.

I'm new to this forum. If the PSU is going out, what is the remedy?

Thanks.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »

downtime, your choices are

1. Fix your PS.  This usually involves replacing 1-3 bad capacitors.  See: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=2320.msg16325#msg16325

2. Order a new "improved" PS from your provider and install that.  See: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=2100.msg15399#msg15399

3. Purchase an external wallwart/power brick that is capable of providing at least 2A @ 5V DC, and use it instead of the built-in PS to power your Plug.

Good luck.

downtime

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »

@restamp

Thank you very much for your reply.

I got the Sheevaplug as an energy saver and a hobby device. I'm not an electronics guy and wouldn't do well with a soldering iron, so solution #1 is probably not a good choice for me.

Unfortunately, I'm not in my home country where I bought the plug for the next few months, so I won't be able to test solution #2 for a while.

So, I'll probably go with #3 if I can find an external PS with the correct connector.

In the mean time I'm using my big desktop as a music server and regretting the extra power it uses.

Thanks again.

downtime

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 07:22:51 AM »

The power supply is out and I have an old router power supply that is 5V 2.5A. Do I just remove the connector from the router ps and the connector from the plug ps and connect the two red wires to one of the router ps wires and the two black ones to the other one?

By the way I don't see anything or smell anything that looks burnt. But then the ps hasn't failed completely.

Thanks again for your help.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:18:37 AM »

Do I just remove the connector from the router ps and the connector from the plug ps and connect the two red wires to one of the router ps wires and the two black ones to the other one?
By the way I don't see anything or smell anything that looks burnt. But then the ps hasn't failed completely.
Yes, you could connect the red wired to plus and the black wires to black/ground.
The power-supply you did remove from your sheeva seems to a the newer improved
version which shouldnt smell/burn....but your one did fail....the older ones did fail after
a they burn and smell.

downtime

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »

Thanks guidol.

I've stripped the wires on the Linksys. Which one is positive? One wire has a ridge running the length of it and the other doesn't. I've searched but can't find a definitive answer to which is positive and which is negative.

Any idea?

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »

downtime,
Look carefully in the lower left corner on the label of your power supply and you will see polarity information.
That won't help with the identified conductor (ridge), there are times when a meter or continuity tester is required to be sure.
On a similar power supply I have, the identified conductor (white stripe) goes to the center contact (+). YMMV

HTH, Jim

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

radael

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

Hopefully, you have not thrown away the Linksys end connector.  On the Linksys box, there is a little diagram which will tell you (probably) that the center part of the connector is positive and the outer portion negative.  That will lead to two options.

The first is to cut the end connector plug and find which wire is attached to the center.

Or, you could buy a small outlet to match the external power supply plug, drill a hole into the sheeva box and install that outlet, then just solder the old PSU wires to the matching elements of the new outlet.  This would avoid the need to cut the Linksys wires.

If you do not have the connector, then your best bet is to check with a cheap multimeter.  Normally, the wire with the identifying element (printing, or the raised ridge) is the positive wire.  But, one never knows if the kid in China or Malaysia followed the standard.  I would not make any connections just because it is supposed to be a certain way.

downtime

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 11:26:39 PM »

Thanks radael & two9er. I followed all of your advice. I had kept the Linksys connector and traced which wire was positive. Just to be sure, I borrowed a voltage meter. Unfortunately, it appears the Linksys ps is dead.

I'm going in the next couple of days to find a new one. I'll let you know how it goes.

downtime

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 04:02:57 AM »

It was the power supply. I got an external one, wired it up and the SheevaPlug is back up. It's been running for an hour without a hitch.

Thanks for your help.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: