• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help with File systems on my Sheva plug running ubuntu  (Read 1029 times)
mirador

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »

Loving my Plug!!  I have a SheevaPlug running the standard UBUNTU distro as the OS.  I have moved the RFS to an SD card using the excellent instructions in the FAQ. 

Problem:
Recently my SD card failed. (lots of input output errors on command execution.)   I use the Plug currently as a webserver and a NAS.  So lots of data passing back and forth.  Was thinking I should use a hard disk as the RFS as a way to up reliability.

My Stab at a solution:
I want to use my USB Passport drive as the Root file system.  I have a powered hub and it mounts fine.  I hope I am simply missing something as I assume most people would want to have the RFS on a larger drive.  Or is it the case that you base the web on the hard drive and the RFS does not matter?

Questions:
Is this the right thing to do? i.e. even if it is possible,  would the experts recommend another way of using storage on my Plug?
Is there a definitive FAQ to show me the steps to doing this?

Sorry if this is a newbe question or there is another place that addresses this and I havent found it..
Matthew

radael

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »

Would not call myself an expert, but I run all of my file system (Debian) on an external drive.  I have also kept the Ubuntu (upgraded, ubifs) in the flash.  One upgraded kernel is in nand flash and will boot for either distribution with a small change to U-Boot variables.

By the way, my external drive is a 64 GB SSD, power from the Plug.  The Plug's internal power supply was removed and replaced by a 5 V, switching, 2.5 A external unit.

My reasoning for this configuration:
  • The machine is to be used for a specific purpose, not just for testing -- Want it to last as long as possible.
  • Running an operating system in it, the internal nand flash will wear out over time.  The flash is difficult to replace.
  • The external drive can be replaced fairly easily.
  • Using the external drive for all the file system means the flash is only written to when upgrading the kernel or doing maintenance on the external drive.  With this little usage, it should last for years.
  • Using an SSD to reduce power consumption.  It is mounted as ext4, with the discard option, so TRIM will work.  The drive is also formatted as a single unit (/dev/sda not /dev/sda?) to keep the erase blocks aligned.
  • With that set-up, as long as there is plenty of free space on the drive, it should operate efficiently for a long time.
  • The SD card slot remains open to perform backups.
  • Had planned to us an SD Card as the device for the file system.  But with reports of problems and fears of accidentally harming the file system by bumping the card, rather only use the SD when doing maintenance.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: