• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seagate Dockstar availability/price  (Read 3827 times)
puppetmaster

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »

Hi there,

I have read through some topics here (great forum btw) and decided to get the Seagate Dockstar for 24/7 torrenting and filesharing. It's pretty much perfect for this purpose (with it's low consumption).

But, I'm quite puzzled by the high difference in price it can be found. I read on several occasions that it was sold for as low as 25$ before, but currently I can't find it anywhere under 100$ or so (with delivery to EU). Is the reason for that high fluctuation in price the fact that it got discontinued (I think I read that somewhere) or something else? If you have any advice on where to order it in Europe under the mentioned price, it'd be great.

westyd1982

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »

I bought one in December for $30.  Today on Amazon they were $50.  You might look at the Dockstar's replacement - the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Net STAK100.  It is basically a Dockstar that will dock two SATA drives and has only one USB port.  I've read that like the Dockstar you can install Debian or other OS on it. It also is supposed to have an internal header that you can connect to for a serial console.

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SESTDSA10GRK

Has them for $39, shipped free, don't know about international sales though.

You will be interested in this forum:

http://forum.doozan.com/index.php

Where all things dockstar are discused.

HTH, Jim

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

velo_love

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:11:53 AM »

For French people, you may find the Dockstar in the FNAC. Prices vary from 39 euros to 59 euros.

puppetmaster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:45:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I found pretty nice prices in a few Polish e-shops but it seems they don't ship internationally. I'll wait for a good opportunity on eBay, occasionally a reasonably priced Dockstar pops out.  Wink

puppetmaster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »

So I found it on Amazon and there's one more thing I'd like to make sure is correct before purchase. The Dockstar comes with a universal AC adapter (can be used in the USA and Europe) and a power connector that's used in the country of purchase, is that correct? So, if it comes with a US power plug, I could use the US-to-EU adapter like this and everything will work fine?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 10:40:17 AM by puppetmaster » Logged

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »

puppetmaster,
You're on the right track here.
My dockstar power supply  (USA) would plug right into the adapter you show. The power supply is rated 100-240V~, 50-60Hz

HTH,Jim

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »

How much? Which amazon country?

puppetmaster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:12 AM »

Thanks!

@Trune: BeachCamera on Amazon.com, it's 49.99$ which is a decent price, although the shipping is a bit high for Europe (29.99) but it's a good price considering it goes for more almost everywhere in Europe).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: