• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: [GURUPLUG+] Problem with rtorrent  (Read 2917 times)
doragasu

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »

I'm using a modded Guruplug+ as a download box. I compiled and tested aMule and rtorrent. aMule works perfect, but rtorrent has problems hashing big files. When it finishes downloading a torrent, it starts hashing the downloaded file, and almost always fails, and each time you check the hash of the file, it fails in different chunks! Also if I download a big torrent with my PC, copy it to the HD connected to my GP+ and check MD5, the file is properly copied to GP+, but rtorrent fails hash check!

Googling I found a lot of people with this problem, the developers say it's because a kernel bug found only in version 2.6.19, or maybe due to defective hardware...

Could my problem be caused by defective hardware? Why other programs (i.e., aMule and md5sum) aren't affected? Anyone using rtorrent with guruplug to download big files?

Juanisan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:27:36 AM »

I never heard of rtorrent.  I use Slackware (armedslack) mainly on my GuruPlug and KTorrent in a full KDE environment over X to my main Linux PC (Slackware) on another X console.  I am trying  rtorrent because of its slimness tonight and your post.  I always loved character based apps more.  Got it compiled and using it for normal TV episode downloads presently. When I get to larger stuff. I will let you know if it fails on larger stuff as it happens.

root@guruslack:~# uname -a
Linux guruslack 2.6.36-kirkwood #2 PREEMPT Sun Oct 24 10:18:13 BST 2010 armv5tel Feroceon 88FR131 rev 1 (v5l) Marvell GuruPlug Reference Board GNU/Linux
root@guruslack:~# cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 13.1.0

running armedslack-current (which is more than 13.1)

(+plus+)

libsigc++-2.2.8.tar.gz
libtorrent-0.12.6.tar.gz
rtorrent-0.8.6.tar.gz

pietsnot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:28:28 AM »

on my gp+ i  installed  2 months ago rtorrent, out-of-the-box (synaptic/apt-get), no need to complie,
it's running 24x7, no problems at all.
advise: nat the torrent port on your router/fw

* rtorrent-version 0.8.6-1.txt (3.85 KB - downloaded 237 times.)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:33:49 AM by pietsnot » Logged

[unbricked]2xguruplug-server+2xjtag>nslu2;debian squeeze; [4|8]gb mmc:rootFS+swapFS; sata-hd 2tb; Linux-kernel-2.6.35.12; U-Boot_2010.03-01266; iptables:FW+router+gw;dhcpd;sshd;sabnzbd;vsftpd;exim4;rTorrent; nfs[d]; autofs; xorg; icewm; iceweasel; xrdp; privoxy+tor; apache; smbd; mediatomb>pch-a110

Coburn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:48:57 PM »

Maybe try out Transmission, it's better than rTorrent. Just download, install and away you go!

Install in Ubuntu: apt-get install transmission-daemon
and then edit the settings file as root which is in /var/lib/transmission-daemon/settings.json .

Juanisan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »

I'll have to try compiling transmission.

I got rtorrent compiled  after my last post and it has worked flawlessly!
I like it.

doragasu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 01:53:16 AM »

Believe it or not, the issues I have with rtorrent are caused by a HARDWARE problem. I tried pointing a big household fan to my modded GP+, and guess what, rtorrent stopped failing hashes. I hashed a big 60+ GB torrent and worked perfect. It looks like the mod I have done to my GP+ isn't enough to warm the device Sad. I'll have to add a little fan Sad.

The weird thing is everything (including aMule, md5sum, etc) excepting rtorrent is working without the need of addittional cooling. Dunno why this program is more sensitive to heat problems.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: