• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help! Sheevaplug inaccessible  (Read 6474 times)
passive

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »

I had been using my 'plug quite successfully, streaming media over SMB and DLNA. However, I recently switched routers, which required a couple of changes to the network settings. I changed these, and it worked fine immediately, but some time in the past couple of days stopped responding. I rebooted it, and as far as I can tell, it's not coming up on the correct network (or not coming up at all).

I've plugged in the usb/serial cable, and used Putty to connect. I get an empty session, no matter what I do. If I turn the power on the plug off, the session dies, so it's definitely at least part of the way there.

How do I recover from this mess?

Thanks.

passive

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »

Well, I've tried accessing it from a different Windows install, with the same result. I've also tried connecting to the serial console from linux, using Putty and cu, with the same result. Finally, I've tried the sheevaplug installer, and that is unable to connect to it either.

Perhaps I have a more serious problem.

plugger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 03:19:15 PM »

This will sound idiotic but you might try using another USB cable or at least verify that the cable you're using works with other things.

I managed to bring a USB drive back to life recently that had been "dead" for years. It was the stupid cable the whole time. And it did work initially, long enough for me to back everything up onto the drive before it went limp.

Now Marvell, OTOH, seems to have shipped me an OK USB cord. But my plug only worked for a little while, before it just died. That drove me nuts for a few minutes until I realized it powered up when plugged directly into an oulet. The AC cord they gave me for this thing failed after several hours of use!

Oh well, it looks sexier plugged into the wall anyway- otherwise what's the point!  Grin

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »

Have you tried resetting the Plug?  There is a reset button recessed behind a small hole on the side of the unit opposite the SDcard slot.  With the unit powered on, stick a toothpick or paperclip in the hole and depress the reset button for a second.  This has worked for me.

(You also don't say whether you've ever successfully talked to the Plug in the past over the mini-USB cable, so it's hard to know if the problem is with the Plug or the connectivity to it.  Are you using a Linux or Windows box to connect?  If Linux, are you seeing /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1?  If so, is Putty successful in connecting to /dev/ttyUSB1, but just nothing coming out?)

passive

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:46:43 AM »

Thanks for the responses. Some answers:

Yes, I have tried resetting the plug. I definitely feel a small button pressing, so I'm pretty sure I am doing it right.

I've never accessed the plug over USB before, just ethernet.

I've tried two different mini-usb cables. One that I know works, and the one that came with the plug.

I've tried it with the plug connected to the wall, and using the power cord.

I've tried two different Windows XP installs, and one Ubuntu.

Under XP, it shows up as COM8, and I can connect, but I never get anything beyond a blank screen.

Under Ubuntu, it shows up as /dev/ttyUSB1, and I can connect with cu or Putty, but I never get anything beyond a blank screen.

I've contacted Globalscale about this. I notice they only mention a 30 day from purchase warranty in the packaging (which would be a total scam, as I didn't receive it for over 30 days), but there is mention of a 1 year warranty on their website. Hopefully they will honour the latter.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »

Just a few comments off the top of my head:

+ When I reset my Plug, the two LEDs go out for the duration of the microswitch being depressed, but there is also the tactile feel you talk about.  You might want to verify the LEDs extinguish, though.  BTW, I don't think simply hitting reset kills the PuTTY session on my Intel obx, but I'm not 100% sure.

+ Since you are seeing /dev/ttyUSB1, it appears your Intel box is correctly interpreting the Plug and setting up the devices.  That's good.

+ Since you have not successfully connected via the mini-USB before, you need to be especially careful that everything is set correctly, because you don't know if it is a bad Plug or a configuration problem.  In particular, are you sure the baud rate is correct?  See: http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Setting_up_Serial_Console_Under_Linux

+ Can you communicate with the JTAG?  Download the SheevaPlug Installer.  Then see http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=355.msg2569#msg2569 and the following post to see if you can get a response from openocd.  Even with errors, it seemed to handle many of the reset commands for me.

+ If you've tried everything and it's still broke, why not try running the SheevaPlug Installer and see what happens?  What do you have you lose?

Good luck!

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:53:20 AM »

Is it possible that your baud rate is not set correctly?  In Putty the Speed is next to the Serial line.  As yours is COM8 the Speed should be 115200.  I believe that the default is 9600.

passive

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 02:01:20 PM »

Just an update:

I got a quick response from GlobalScale about two weeks ago, and they suggested some hardware defects to look for. I didn't find any of these, but only one of my plugs LED lights was coming on, which apparently means a hardware problem.

Since then, I've been waiting for a further response from them.

passive

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:30:23 AM »

A further update.

GlobalScale finally got back to me about 3 weeks ago, and confirmed it was a hardware defect and they would be sending me a replacement. Since then, I have heard nothing from them.

I have asked them to cancel my replacement and issue me a refund. The savings on the hardware is simply not worth this kind of hassle. Hopefully other people are having a better experience, or Marvell really shot themselves in the foot by doing their initial distribution through GTI.

passive

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 10:51:29 AM »

Still nothing from GTI, but... I got a new Sheevaplug in the mail last week. Smiley

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 04:14:42 PM »

So will you be changing your name to "active" now?

rrush

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »

passive, what were the hardware defects Globalscale said to look for?  My plug has been working fine for several months until yesterday and now I am experiencing the same problem, the LEDs are on, but I can't access it all.  Also, how long have you had your plug that Globalscale replaced it?   

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: