• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 88F6181 Bootrom  (Read 2330 times)
gabephan

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »

The 88F6181 manual describes a way to boot from UART0.  You have to send it a 64 bit sequence on UART0 to put it into debug mode.  Does anyone know how to do that?  The manual describes what you have to do but does not tell you how to do it.  We tried sending the sequence using a terminal program but can not get it to work.  Can someone help?

dieterk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »

Did you try really sending the binary data?
What terminal programm did you use?

Maybe you should give kermit a try. As far as I remeber you can write simple scripts with kermit and also transmit binary data very easily that way.
Dieter
The 88F6181 manual describes a way to boot from UART0.  You have to send it a 64 bit sequence on UART0 to put it into debug mode.  Does anyone know how to do that?  The manual describes what you have to do but does not tell you how to do it.  We tried sending the sequence using a terminal program but can not get it to work.  Can someone help?

gabephan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:45:05 PM »

We created a file with a hex editor then sent it using a Hyperterminal.

Maybe you should give kermit a try. As far as I remeber you can write simple scripts with kermit and also transmit binary data very easily that way.
Dieter

I'll give it a try with minicom.

dieterk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »

As I understand the marvell docs right you have to send the binary data not only once!
You have to send them repeatedly until you get the bootrom prompt.

Thats why I suggested kermit. With kermit you can write easily scripts doing exatly that.
Send data until you get some response.

Just my 2 ct Smiley

We created a file with a hex editor then sent it using a Hyperterminal.

Dieter

I'll give it a try with minicom.

tawfik

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:51:39 AM »

Try using the attached binary files for this.

The same flow is used for both "Boot from UART" and "Debug prompt". The flow should be as follows:
- Hold the board in reset.
- Start sending the appropriate file (either debug or boot) as plain binary (no Xmodem or any other protocol)
- Immediately release the reset (so as to execute the BootROM while the pattern is still being transmitted).
- Wait for BootROM prompt (if debug file used) or for NACK signals (if boot file used) and if you terminal shows these NACKs.
- If you are doing boot. Start sending the UBoot with Xmodem.

I suggest to start with the debug prompt first, since you have a visual indication.
I am using the attached files and I can successful do both debug and boot. It is a matter of timing...
If you don't succeed in this try to enlarge the size of the pattern file, this will enhance the BootROM chance to catch the pattern...

I hope this helps.

* bb11223344556677_boot.bin (8 KB - downloaded 229 times.)
* dd11223344556677_debug.bin (8 KB - downloaded 171 times.)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: