• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Problem accessing the serial console  (Read 2135 times)
StarFishes

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:00:42 AM »

Hello,

I recently received my Plug and was checking the functionality. When I tried to access the serial console, I started the device, until I could SSH onto it. When I finally plugged in the USB cable I expected a message on my Windows Vista machine, that a new device was found, but nothing happened. The same procedure with an XP-SP3-machine and an Ubuntu-PC led to the same result, I still cannot access the serial console.

Do you have any ideas what the problem is? Did I do anything wrong (actually I haven't done anything yet...  Smiley)? I have a feeling that the device could be broken....  Sad

Thank you very much, kind regards,
StarFishes

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »

Try - http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=2.0

StarFishes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »

Hello Rabeeh,

thank you for the link, but I think my problem starts just a few steps before. All the tutorials depend on a successful hardware recognition like "New hardware was found, which driver to install?" My problem is, that I don't get so far. I plug in the USB cable but nothing happens, no automatic detection. I can SSH the device over ethernet, but not via the serial console.

I've been checking the Windows device manager where it says ports. But even with the USB connection there's no COM port as it is decribed in the tutorials. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
StarFishes

bfmorgan
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »

StarFishes,
  I have had to make sure the mini-USB plug is securely placed in the connector on the Plug. I know this sounds simple but any deviation, left or right, on the connector or even a fraction of a mm out is enough to not make a secure connection.

Hope this helps,

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »

do you here a windows notification sound when the plug is connected?

Or boot a linux (live-cd) plug in and check with "lsusb" if the plug is connection to the host.

StarFishes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »

Thank you everybody for your responses!

I repeated the procedure on different systems but the device couldn't be found by any of those. I also checked the connections and the plugs. It seems that the serial port is kind of loose, but with another cable it seems to fit, but with the same result.

Obviously my device is broken, i wasn't quite sure whether I did anything wrong, but you confirmed what I expected. Therefore I'm gonna contact GlobalScales and hopefully they will send me a replacement.

Thank you everybody and wish me luck with the replacement! Smiley

Best regards,
StarFishes

StarFishes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:04:01 AM »

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to inform you, that I received the replacement unit after sending an error description to GTI. Although they had to send it overseas I didn't have to send it back to them, they immediately sent the replacement without hesitation! Thank you very much for that service!

So if anybody experiences the same problem, maybe this can help!

Best regards,
StarFishes

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: