• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Using the plug as a full PC with an external display (usb2vga)  (Read 15904 times)
jhill

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:01:27 PM »

I got my usb2vga adapter working with the plug, here's a video of it all working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClCWZ9Nv0A

sheevaplug+sdcard+usb2vga adapter+keyboard+mouse.

I had to recompile the kernel to add support for the sisusb driver.  Then installed xorg + gnome + firefox and added the appropriate entries to xorg.conf.  It's not the speediest PC in the world, but it's definitely usable.  Would work well for email+web browsing. 

I'm using the StarTech.com USB 2.0 to VGA Dual Display Adapter, but any usb2vga adapter which uses the sisusb driver would work.  Price for the adapter is around $60-$80.

bfmorgan
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:05:38 PM »

Way cool!

Morpheus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »

Very  cool indeed. Could you please provide a list of packages/steps you used to install xorg/gnome/firefox combo to run?
For me apt-get says you need 1705 MB for just gnome/xorg to install.

Thanks in advance.

iambvk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »

Cool.

Does that usb2vga device need additional power supply?

liuh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

I got my usb2vga adapter working with the plug, here's a video of it all working:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClCWZ9Nv0A

sheevaplug+sdcard+usb2vga adapter+keyboard+mouse.

I had to recompile the kernel to add support for the sisusb driver.  Then installed xorg + gnome + firefox and added the appropriate entries to xorg.conf.  It's not the speediest PC in the world, but it's definitely usable.  Would work well for email+web browsing. 

I'm using the StarTech.com USB 2.0 to VGA Dual Display Adapter, but any usb2vga adapter which uses the sisusb driver would work.  Price for the adapter is around $60-$80.

Wah, very cool.

Which linux distribution your running? Do you have to compile the driver for the usb2vga adapter or it comes with binary driver?

Thanks

Slavuti4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 02:24:08 AM »

Can i watch video with mplayer
in sheevaplug with usb2vga
(it will be normal or very slow)

alunix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 02:27:59 AM »

jhill  have said  " I had to recompile the kernel to add support for the sisusb driver  " , so simple ...

morpheus  have said :  " Could you please provide a list of packages/steps you used to install  " .

oui oui  se dit : yes ,   can we found this in depositery by apt-get ? , i need patch for dockstar

alunix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:30:48 AM »

is  that a good kernel to use usb-vga converter MANHATTAN on a Dockstar SEAGATE ?
root@debian:/# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0711:5100 Magic Control Technology Corp.

root@debian:/# uname -r
2.6.35.7-dockstar
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:32:22 AM by alunix » Logged

aurelius

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »

For those of us who are not experts, can you provide info on how you updated the kernel to recognize the usb/vga adapter, keyboard and mouse?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: