• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Problem: Booting with several USB-Devices connected to SheevaPlug  (Read 3208 times)
guidol

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2009, 01:26:04 PM »

Hi all,

some Users at www.sheevaplug.de, including me, couldnt boot from USB when more
USB-Devices than the USB-Mass-Storage-device are on the USB-Bus.

This looks like this on the serial Console:

Boot with 4-Port-HUB and USB-Stick and my iMic-SoundCard at the SheevaPlug-USB-Port
USB 0: host mode
PEX 0: interface detected no Link.
Net: egiga0 [PRIME], egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
(Re)start USB...
USB: scanning bus for devices...
USB device not responding, giving up (status=20)
4 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus for storage devices...
=*after several minutes*=
Device NOT ready
Request Sense returned 00 00 00
0 Storage Device(s) found
** Bad partition 1 **
** Bad partition 1 **
## Booting image at 00400000 ...
Bad Magic Number
Marvell>>

Boot with 4-Port-HUB and USB-Stick BUT WITHOUT my iMic-SoundCard at the SheevaPlug-USB-Port
USB 0: host mode
PEX 0: interface detected no Link.
Net: egiga0 [PRIME], egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
(Re)start USB...
USB: scanning bus for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
scanning bus for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found
=*Booting debian*=

With an additional USB-Device (on the plug/hub)
the recognition seems to hang/ get stuck  while searching for an USB-Mass-Storage-device.

It also get stuck, at the same log-line, after applying the new U-Boot.bin (from the user kwonsk)
which includes the Boot-Support for MMC/SD-Card.

Did anyone got an idea about that?

kilowatt
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »

I saw the same thing. 

If I only have the drive plugged in the hub it tends to boot properly.  If I also have other devices plugged in uboot never finds the drive.  Seems like the ubs to serial port adapter I have is the worst offender.  I can plug all the devices in after it has booted and everything works fine.  So it seems to be uboot that has the limitations.

It sure would be nice if the uboot USB support worked better.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:22:33 AM »

I can plug all the devices in after it has booted and everything works fine.  So it seems to be uboot that has the limitations.

I flashed u-boot to support SD/MMC and now I boot of the SC-Card.
While booting from SD(HC) there is no problem anymore that the soundcard/hub is conntected at boot-time
BUT a 20GB 2.5" USB-Disk couldnt be read by fdisk while a USB-Falsh Stick could be read without problems
from fdisk.

rooster
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:04:49 AM »

I have experianced the same phenomenon.
I got USB2serial + 8G DOK (uImage+FS) + Archos 605 (data), the way I work the system boot is to connect to the HUB only the USB device that includes the file-system d, let uboot find it and once the disk/DOK is in use, plug the other USB devices

draimus
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »

I had the same problem.  Had a thumbdrive, external HD enclosure and a printer chained off a hub.  The weird thing was it worked fine during reboot tests I performed while adding various components, but the next day when it powered on it wouldn't boot.  I tried a different hub thinking my cheap hub had died but it still wouldn't come up.

At one point I got a setup that did boot (I think it was the thumbdrive and printer on the hub) but once debian booted I added the external HD and the system just got a stream of errors from the thumbdrive.  Had to do a fsck of the drive on another system since it left it in a weird state.

rc3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:14:20 PM »

I once had this problem when I connected my quickcam pro9000 and my external usb HD through a usb2.0 hub. It turned out I had to connect the usb hd to the first port (I figured out which is the first by trial and error) in order for successful booting from USB.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: