I just bought a Guruplug server.
I'm quite happy with it.
It makes more noise than a regular airport and that's an issue, but other than that i's a neat device.
Anyway, I'm looking into serving databases from it. MySQL and / or Postgres.
I was thinking about where to place the database files.
In my situation I have multiple options:
- Micro SD, but it's slow (6MB/s) and has about 10.000 writes.
A database server writes a lot, and you don't want a corrupt storage location for database files.
- Internal storage, but it's only 512 MB for everything, leaving little space for database files.
And same thing goed as for MicroSD, Slow and only 10.000 writes.
And i'd rather waer out MicroSD card than internal Flash.
- NAS (NFS), but it is still quite slow and not recommended by PostGres. For MySQL soma are more positive than others.
General opinion is don't use NFS for databases
- USB harddisk: I have one, but it's USB 2.0. Not so fast (faster than MicroSD and probably faster than NAS too, but neverthless).
And on top of that, i'm already using it for other stuff.
- Buy a harddisk. USB 3.0 might do the trick, but eSATA is fasther. SSD might be a better option.
However, than I would have two devices instead of one, using more energy, taking up more space and I have to buy something.
I don't do rocket science so I don't need the fastest sollution. But I'd like to choose the best option.
Has anyone of you any idea about what would be best te server my needs?
Do you have any experience with MicroSD, NFS, etc?
Please let me know if you do.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you.