• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Guruplug trying to send an email (cron job)  (Read 1983 times)
pacolm

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:55:52 AM »

Hi,

My guruplug is trying to sent a email daily to a email address that I didn't know, using a cron job. The problem is that I do not know how to list or remove this job executed as root -> 'CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily ))'.
  I have tried contrab -l, and no cron jobs are listed for the root user. Could you help me?

Regards,

PacoLM

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »

The command can be found in your system crontab: /etc/crontab
Please give more info on the email attempt.

HTH, Jim

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »

Looks like you should find the corresponding script in /etc/cron.daily. It could also be that one of the scripts writes something to stdout/stderr which would cause crond to try and send an email to root which in turn may have been redirected to another email address in /etc/mail/aliases.

Thanks,
--Christian

pacolm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:46:49 AM »

Hi,

I just looked into each script into the cron.daily directory and didnīt find any clue. This is a extract of the log when my guruplug gets an error:

connect to postbox.fabulous.com[128.242.120.13]:25: Connection timed out
 94DD2915C3: to=<guruplug@bonaigua.com>, relay=none, delay=435572, delays=435551/0.15/21/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to postbox.fabulous.com[128.242.120.13]:25: Connection timed out)

In some way, seems that the script is trying to connect to the server fabulous and is not able (maybe because I add a rule in ufw)....

Any clue?

PacoLM

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »

Who sent this email? Does it have a subject like "Cron <root@xxx> ..."? If so, one of the scripts printed something to stdout/stderr and cron converted the text into an email. In that case, you should be able to get a clue from the subject line (run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily in your case) and possibly from the first line of the email.

Right now the only thing we can tell for sure is that it's one of the scripts in /etc/cron.daily. Maybe you could post the entire email?

Thanks,
--Christian

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: