• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there really a major problem with the GuruPlug?  (Read 3325 times)
horrendo

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »

Hi,

I was planning on purchasing a GuruPlug to act as my always-on torrent grabber but ran across this article :

http://1wt.eu/articles/guruplug-slow-heater/

Is this correct?  I would hate to risk burning my house down !!

Is there a better device to fit my purpose?  I don't need anything that is lightning fast.  Just something that can safely fetch torrents 24x7.

Thanks for your help.

H.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »

Hi , I`ve been using a sheevaplug for about 9 months continuously for the role of torrent server amongst other roles.
One thing that stops fires is fitting the right fuse !!!!!

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:26:18 PM »

The conventional wisdom is that the RJ45 run HOT when connected to a Gigabit ethernet network.  Those who run it connected to 100 Mbit networks say it doesn't exhibit these symptoms.  While I owned a GuruPlug, I ran it on a 100 Mbit network and it seemed to put out about the same amount of heat as my SheevaPlug.  It got warm, but I wouldn't have burned my fingers on it.  YMMV.

horrendo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:03:41 PM »

The conventional wisdom is that the RJ45 run HOT when connected to a Gigabit ethernet network.

So does this mean if I use WiFi rather than ethernet it shouldn't run hot?

Does the SheevaPlug get HOT when connected to GigE?

Thanks again,

H.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:17:01 PM »

My GuruPlug did not run any hotter than my SheevaPlug with WiFi and one 100Mbit ethernet connection active.  I never tried connecting it to a Gbit ethernet, but I understand those who did complained that the RJ45 jack did become quite hot.  Perhaps others who have tried it can be more specific.

For more information, see:

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx?showarticle=4
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:06:31 PM by restamp » Logged

gordan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:14:51 PM »

I have one of the standard white ones (no eSATA, single ethernet) and it doesn't seem to have any overheating issues. It's plugged into a Gb ethernet switch and the port doesn't get hot. The white plastic casing gets warm, but I doubt it's more than about 20C above ambient.

pietsnot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 03:47:09 AM »

i have
one gp+ with eth1 connected to WAN, and eth0 to LAN, this gp+ is router, gw, fw, dhcpd->lan, dhcp->cablemodem, nfsd, networkinterfaces both running at 100mbit, no heat-problem, getting light warmer then :
the other gp+ (eth0 - 100mbit, rTorrent, sabnzbdplusd 24x7, smbd, nfsd, mediatomb-TV), no problems at all.

[unbricked]2xguruplug-server+2xjtag>nslu2;debian squeeze; [4|8]gb mmc:rootFS+swapFS; sata-hd 2tb; Linux-kernel-2.6.35.12; U-Boot_2010.03-01266; iptables:FW+router+gw;dhcpd;sshd;sabnzbd;vsftpd;exim4;rTorrent; nfs[d]; autofs; xorg; icewm; iceweasel; xrdp; privoxy+tor; apache; smbd; mediatomb>pch-a110

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: