• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will there ever be a 1GB / 2GB RAM spec sheevaplug with 2.0Ghz CPU?  (Read 4365 times)
hi_tech_guy_18

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2010, 01:05:20 AM »

Will there ever be a 1GB / 2GB RAM spec sheevaplug with 2.0Ghz CPU?
I would like to setup a Fedora 14 Linux  & Java Minecraft Sever in a Sheevaplug ^^
Sadly the min Software spec for the Minecraft server is 1GB of RAM

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »

Compared to some of the Sheeva's main competitors in the embedded homebrew market, it's already WAY ahead of them on speed and ram. Compare to the BeagleBoard, or the HawkBoard.. It's far better than either of them. Sounds like the minecraft server is bloated. Is it open source? It should be possible to make it do some page swapping or otherwise figure out why it's wasting so much ram..

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

Schmerm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:25:14 PM »

It's not open source, and it's written in Java. I'd also wager that it's currently not optimized for performance or memory usage. There's also a lot of data to store -- every world chunk is dozens (hundreds?) of blocks on a side, and all of those are generated and stored in RAM. Repeat for multiple chunks depending on clients' view distance.

I've had limited success enabling a swapfile on my plug (using USB HDD for storage) so that it would at least run. It spent 10 minutes generating the initial terrain and then I gave up.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »

Is there even a decent JVM for the Sheeva? I don't think Sun/Oracle ever made an official ARMv5 version..

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

obaltus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:32:24 AM »

"...I don't think Sun/Oracle ever made an official ARMv5 version.".

How about doing some research before assuming this. There is a JVM available at sun/oracle for armv5tel. This JVM runs very well, faster than the others available.
It is able to start a jboss server in 3min.

See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/downloads/index.html

Code:
./java  -version
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition for Embedded (build 1.6.0_10-b42, headless)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

gordan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »

A couple of things:
1) You may want to look into ramzswap (google compcache). Recent kernels have it built in. You can create a virtual compressed swap disk in RAM. It works wonders when you're short on RAM and swapping isn't an option.
2) I haven't checked this myself yet (haven't taken my sheeva apart yet) but I heard that the board actually has space for 4 RAM chips, but only 2 are populated. So with a tiny soldering iron, a bit of patience, and a couple of extra memory chips, you should be able to DIY upgrade it to 1GB. I'm going to investigate this myself, and if it looks plausible, I'll probably do it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: