• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SheevaPlug and 2.5" 1TB HD  (Read 2056 times)
drkarl

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:56:02 AM »

Hi everyone!

I want to buy a PlugComputer, mainly to use as a 24/7 torrent downloader. Now I use my desktop Core i7 as a 24/7 torrent downloader but it is overkill... and after looking for an energy efficient computer first i found fitpc2, and later I stumbled upon PlugComputers. That's exactly what I need, but I'm concerned about issues with overheating. Just looking at the specs I would buy a GuruPlug Plus but I've read they overheat like hell. I do prefer reliability, so I think SheevaPlug is the safest option.

My question is, would I have issues connecting a 2.5" 1Tb hard disk to the SheevaPlug? What would be the best option to do that minimizing overheat issues?

Thank you.

drkarl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:57:58 AM »

Ok, I found this:

"Although the Plug Computer USB connection can provide enough power for USB "thumb" drives, please do not expect it to power larger USB drives without an alternate power source. IT CAN handle the drives nicely through a powered usb hub. this makes the hub power the drive."

So it would be better to use a powered usb hub. Do you recommend any particular powered usb hub?

Also I found Excito B3 (https://www.excito.com/bubba/products/overview.html) which has more or less the same specs as the SheevaPlug (1.2GHz ARM processor and 512MB RAM) but includes the hard disk, 2 USB, 2 Gigabit ethernet,  1 eSata.

Specs
https://www.excito.com/bubba/products/technical-specifications.html

It is more expensive than the SheevaPlug, and also is bigger (but includes a hard disk)... but do you know if it has overheating issues as well?

Thank you again.

edmc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »

How about just getting one of the many external USB 3.5" drives... They're cheaper, more reliable, and usually come with their own power supply.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: