• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Squeezcenter/transcoding  (Read 2871 times)
bebop

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »

Has anybody installed squeezeneter on their plug ? if so has anybody tried transcoding (flac -> mp3) with the plug ?

The reason for asking is, that I am dying to get a low power server like the plug to run squeezecenter, but transcoding is mandatory, and since the sheeva does not have a FPU, I need to know if it fast enough to see if I have to abandon the economic sheeva and go the expensive Atom way.

regards
Bebop

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:41:17 PM »

I'm also interested in this. Alternatively, if the plug can't encode mp3 in real time, can it at least transcode to wav in real time?

scruss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 04:40:15 AM »

comprec - mentioned here: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=235.0 - is an integer MP3 encoder that runs better than real time on the sheevaplug. The sound quality is pretty poor, though.

Flac should be doable in real time, since some fairly low-wnd players can do it using Rockbox.

hug a wind turbine today!

tony.p.lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 06:53:05 AM »

I installed mplayer from FC8.

google "mplayer transcoding"

On the Marvell's OpenRD platform,  mplayer works reasonably well for SD video (Standard definition).

It works ok with H.264 for resolution encoded for the iPOP/PSP resolution.  (480x280?) .

bebop

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:15:25 PM »

Anybody want to test this ? :

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/7.4/sc/6054/squeezecenter+perl-armv5te-poky-linux-gnueabi-r26982.tgz

Should be the 1st. Arm build of SC 7.4

Regards

boerner

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »

I'm going to see if I can give it a try tonight or tomorrow. Installing on a Pogoplug though, not a Sheeva.

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 01:12:35 AM »

anyone got the flac -> mp3 transcoding to work?

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »

anyone got the flac -> mp3 transcoding to work?

Well haven't got much further on this. Installed lame and tried the transcoding from flac->mp3. It is too slow. Music is interrupted about every 5 seconds for a rebuffer which also takes a few seconds.

Any ideas?

DozenCrows

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 06:02:58 AM »

I run a cron task overnight to "offline" transcode any new music files from other formats (ripped by iTunes) to FLAC (visible to Squeezebox). Takes up more space that way, but big hard drives are cheap these days...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: