• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Please VOTE: What is the best Linux for the SHPG and why ???  (Read 3507 times)
puppetboy

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 04:10:12 PM »

Please VOTE:  What is the best Linux distro for the SheevaPlug and why is it the best Huh
1) Best size ?
2) Most features ?
3) Most reliable ?
4) Ease of installation ?
5) Other ?

Thanks   Any information submitted here will be closely perused by me and others no doubt.  I am looking forwarded to being educated.

Best
Gus
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:13:23 PM by puppetboy » Logged

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »

In my opinion the best one is gentoo, while it is not easy to install (it requieres a fairly good understanding of linux) it has a bunch of documentation and it forces you to learn, also, since you setup it mostly by hand it gives you a lot of insight on the workings of the system. Another advantage is that with the USE flags you can control the size, functions and options of every application you install.
The main problems with gentoo are the difficult installation and the time it takes to install (since it has to compile pretty much all the system).

A last point of interest is that you have to compile and configure the kernel, which takes a couple of tries, but allows to have a very small and specific kernel, and you don;t have to wait until somebody updates/modifies the compiled images.

Thats my personal opinion, I used debian, ubuntu, suse and redhat on desktops, but after using gentoo I've been using it for pretty much anything, and the sheevaplug has worked perfectly well with it.

Talking specifically about gentoo+sheevaplug, the only problem I have found is that I can't get java to compile or find a suitable JRE/JDK.

mymaestro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »

It depends on what you are going to use it for! If I bought four plugs I might put Ubuntu on one, Gentoo or Slackware on another, Fedora on another, and OpenWRT on another! One for my collecting data for my weather station, one for a music server, one for doing some stuff for work, one for NAS.

Please VOTE:  What is the best Linux distro for the SheevaPlug and why is it the best Huh
1) Best size ?
2) Most features ?
3) Most reliable ?
4) Ease of installation ?
5) Other ?

Thanks   Any information submitted here will be closely perused by me and others no doubt.  I am looking forwarded to being educated.

Best
Gus

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:43:53 AM »

It depends on what you are going to use it for! If I bought four plugs I might put Ubuntu on one, Gentoo or Slackware on another, Fedora on another, and OpenWRT on another! One for my collecting data for my weather station, one for a music server, one for doing some stuff for work, one for NAS.

I would install openvz on the plug and run 4 virtual machines on them

Brian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »

The best linux is the one your most comfortable with.  The details of which packages, and package managers are included by default are much less important than your ability to work smoothly with the tools.  The applications are generally available for all distributions, we're talking about roughly the same kernel and gnu utilities after all.

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:01:27 AM »

I vote for OpenWRT.
Easier for developer to produce a customized and very compact system. Very good cross compile environment.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: