• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone made progress in booting from USB?  (Read 1755 times)
jml

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »

It'd be great to _reliably_ boot this puppy from a SATA / USB hard drive. I can seem to get it recognized about 1 out of 8 or 9 tries.... but have never been able to get fatload to work. As a matter of fact, even if I can see the drive in "usb info" and set it with "usb dev", "usb part" doesn't show any partitions, though if I boot from flash, fdisk shows a FAT12 and an ext3 partition. Any ideas?

Thanks...

jml

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:04:03 PM »

Are you adding a delay, I think I read somewhere that you had to add a small delay before booting (5 secs?)

bfmorgan
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »

JML,
  After you boot do you see sda in /dev? If so, do you then see sda1..n for the partitions?

I have a Transcend USB SSD and have had no problems. Additionally, I have mounted a 500GB HD. Both of these drives do not get their power from the plug. I know several users have had trouble with plug USB power problems. Some have then used a powered USB hub with some success.

jml

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 06:30:14 AM »

Are you adding a delay, I think I read somewhere that you had to add a small delay before booting (5 secs?)

I'm not even getting that far. I'd be happy if I could reliably get the USB drive just to scan in Das U-boot. But thanks...

jml

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 06:34:22 AM »

If I boot from flash, I see the drive (/dev/sda1, /dev/sda2) every time; no problems there. The issue is getting u-boot to see the disk so I can boot from _it_. I also throttled back the USB drive to 1.5G and it got a little more reliable in the scan, but still no partitions visible, thus I'm thinking a timing issue in the USB device discovery routine ("usb start" sometimes sees the device, sometimes times out, sometimes hangs).  I'm direct-connect, no external hub (though I'd love to use one), and power is external in a USB - to - SATA frame, so it's not a power issue..

I think I'll need to crack open the u-boot code and see if there's any way to tweak up the scan routines...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:22:15 PM by jml » Logged

jml

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 06:03:13 AM »

Update:

It looks like this is related to the actual SATA-USB chipset on the drive enclosure (it's a JMicron unit). Substituted a PATA-USB enclosure with a Prolific Technology bridge and it's booted perfectly every time. I'll still dig into what's going on with the former as time permits.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: