• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Poll
Question: Do you want a Windows version of the Sheevaplug installer?
Yes - 14 (43.8%)
No - 8 (25%)
Either of them. I don't care - 10 (31.3%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Windows version for the Sheevaplug installer  (Read 5186 times)
Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »

Currently the Sheevaplug installer is a Linux host version only (version alpha-6) -

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=355.0

If you want a Windows host version, or you don't care, please vote.

Thanks,
Rabeeh

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:21:57 AM »

You may be asking the wrong crowd (who demonstratively have Linux experience), unless you're getting people curious about this product who will spend enough time on this forum to find this poll.

For what it's worth, you might consider marketing the SheevaPlug development kit  as an adventure into Linux for windows users who are interested in learning about Linux but don't want to invest a lot of money for separate hardware or risk their current windows box with a dual installation.  One big reward for such as class would be how to set up a home network server (Samba) for half the price of what Microsoft charges for theirs.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:41:04 AM »

I know for a fact that there are Windows users in the crowd that first time uses Linux.
Actually one of them contacted me through IRC and told me has has built openocd for Windows since he is not familiar with Linux.

But regardless, I agree that the majority doesn't care about a Windows version. A fact that more than 130 people viewed this poll, and none has voted.

So for now, no need for Windows version.  Grin

edmc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »

A fact that more than 130 people viewed this poll, and none has voted.

The challenge of writing good polling questions is very high.  I submit to you that there are a wide array of ways one could interpret your poll question.  Do we want to use a Windows version?  Do we want a Windows version available so that the space of would-be SheevaPlug developers could broaden?  Very ambiguous at best.

Indeed, as I'm sure you well know, there is a whole science of phrasing polling questions in a way to garner a desired result :-)...

What I find much more helpful is to understand the various things that could be done and prioritize them.

If, instead, you were to craft your "poll" to list the various U-Boot enhancements being considered, estimate their development time, and allow folks like us forum-its to prioritize the list to our own preferences, that would be both clearer what was being asked and, I dare say, more helpful to you.

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 08:25:51 AM »

My plug is my only linux machine, my only other computer is a netbook running windows 7, so I would love a Windows app. I do use a vmware appliance running ubuntu to get all my stuff done when my plug isn't working so I do have recourse, but a windows app would be great.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »

The poll option I was looking for is "A Linux installer, or both a Linux installer and a Windows installer".  The latter might be useful, but the former is essential.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: