• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plug only sees one HDD from dual HDD enclosure  (Read 3259 times)
wbori

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2009, 04:00:41 PM »

So I just got my plug friday and I've been playing with it over the weekend. I've managed to update the firmware using the Installer ver1, update the kernel to the latest version, setup samba, and shift the rootfs to an SD card.

My main purpose for the plug is to serve as a NAS for a dual HDD USB enclosure.  Unfortunately the plug only detects one of the hdds  Embarrassed. I double checked and all my pc's (windows, mac and ubuntu linux) can detect and mount both hard drives fine. The plug only detects the drive attached to one of the SATA ports within the enclosure (swapping cables inside the box does change which drive is detected).

The enclosure is not set for RAID or JBOD, it's presenting both drives individually. I can live with only one drive for now but I would like to get the second drive up and running. My linux experience is limited to the kind of things i've done so far, I've never really debugged major hardware issues before. Any help you guys could provide would be appreciated.

Here's a dmesg snippet from when the drive(s) are scanned at bootup. Only one drive is found. On my linux pc, two individual drives show up in dmesg.

Code:
Waiting 10sec before mounting root device...
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 2
mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address e5cc
mmcblk0: mmc0:e5cc SD08G 7.42 GiB
 mmcblk0: p1
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SAMSUNG  HD103SI               PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 1953525168 512-byte hardware sectors: (1.00 TB/931 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 38 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 179:1.
Freeing init memory: 140K
eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.14.0-ioctl (2008-04-23) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on dm-0, internal journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.
NET: Registered protocol family 10

JiriH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:21:56 PM »

Can you check your kernel config if you have CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y set?  I had similar problem with my All-in-on card reader. Without this option I can see only one card slot, but with this option set to YES all card slots are enumerated and visible.

Hope it helps  Smiley

wbori

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »

Sure enough that flag wasn't set (the kernel was from sheeva-with-linux) . A post on the tonido plug forum confirmed the same problem. I was able to compile a kernel (this was my first time!) with that flag set and sure enough both hard drives popped up. Of course I got another error and couldn't mount my lvm drive. Turns out I accidentally turned off raid and lvm support.  I'm  recompiling as we speak.

wbori

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »

Just as an update, I was able to recompile and everything is now working as it should. Only took me like 4 tries. Guess I originally misunderstood how to properly save the kernel config from menuconfig.

elBradford

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 10:49:03 PM »

I still can't figure out how to save it correctly. What I ended up doing was taking the .config file from the with-linux website for 2.6.31 and simply including the correct LUN line. Works perfectly. And I don't have to flash the damn nand anymore because of how awesome the 1.0 installer is!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:14:23 PM by elBradford » Logged

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »

wbori -

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=734.msg4523#msg4523

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: