• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: DisplayLink integration?  (Read 42011 times)
birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »

Here's an (untested) patch...

* udlfb.c.patch (0.78 KB - downloaded 244 times.)

dbeck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 03:50:25 AM »

Here's an (untested) patch...

Thank you! This is great!

I made a minor addition to print the fallback resolution it has set. I attached the compiled module and the new udlfb.c file.

I cannot check the monitor right now but the kernel message does print

Jan 19 10:41:48 ubuntu kernel: Setting fallback resolution to: XRES 1024 YRES 768

so I suppose it works!

* udlfb-2.6.32.3-xres-yres.tar.gz (13.28 KB - downloaded 206 times.)

dellis1972

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »

I managed to get this all working. thanks guys.   Smiley

hansan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »

The sheevaplug should work 24/7 but the LCD screen should go off (in suspend or off mode) when I am not using it.

Is it possible to switch off the MIMO 740 or other display link device?
I mean does DMPS for instance work?

I saw in the log file of dellis1972 that it is not working:
(II) DL(0): No DPMS capabilities specified; Monochorome/GrayScale Display

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings, Han

scologic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2010, 09:27:29 AM »

Okay, now dont all shoot me now.... but heres what we've managed to drum up from our tiny brain cells... If any of you want a neat little unit like this get in touch as we will be selling some in the next month..

* Sco-Logic unit.jpg (19.95 KB, 360x262 - viewed 1056 times.)

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 05:30:37 AM »

Okay, now dont all shoot me now.... but heres what we've managed to drum up from our tiny brain cells... If any of you want a neat little unit like this get in touch as we will be selling some in the next month..
That is pretty cool.  Which Mimo is that?  Or, put another way: Does it have touch?  Webcam?

Mark

scologic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 07:22:05 AM »

We're not using Mimo as it's not rugged enough. GlassFilm Glass touch is pretty awful on the Mimo.

Yes it has touch and we have sourced and could fit a webcam if we wanted. We're also finalising the 10 inch and possibly 19 inch version and personal projector version.

The Plug needs more ports tho... as we dont want to throttle the USB. Maybe this might get Globalscale to give us more?

hansan

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2010, 08:26:19 PM »

Okay, now dont all shoot me now.... but here is what we've managed to drum up from our tiny brain cells... If any of you want a neat little unit like this get in touch as we will be selling some in the next month..

This looks indeed nice. But how is the graphic performances in the end?
Is the whole USB / displaylink route not too limiting?

I am also thinking about a device like yours, but I am afraid that I cannot show a little animation and some other moving graphics on the screen due to the limited bandwidth / processor power. (In reviews it looks like that showing a movie at  800x600 @ 30fps is not really an option for a displaylink device.)

Is a TI OMAP based device not a better route? That ARM architecture has at least some floating point and graphics co processor and a direct interface to the LCD.  For instance like this board: http://www.armkits.com/Product/devkit8000.asp

What is the general opinion about this?

Greetings,

Han

dbeck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2010, 01:04:50 AM »

This looks indeed nice. But how is the graphic performances in the end?
Is the whole USB / displaylink route not too limiting?

I am also thinking about a device like yours, but I am afraid that I cannot show a little animation and some other moving graphics on the screen due to the limited bandwidth / processor power. (In reviews it looks like that showing a movie at  800x600 @ 30fps is not really an option for a displaylink device.)

Is a TI OMAP based device not a better route? That ARM architecture has at least some floating point and graphics co processor and a direct interface to the LCD.  For instance like this board: http://www.armkits.com/Product/devkit8000.asp

That's right. In my experience the DisplayLink device is not very fast. Animated graphics are out of question. It is OK for simple tasks, such as writing this post. However I did search for more graphic capable devices and found this:

• The beagleboard has lot more power than the device you mention, but lacks the ethernet interface Unfortunately not shipping at the moment.
  • The IGEPv2 device is available and also more powerful, but it only have 100Mb interface. CPU and graphics look promising. 

I'm about to evaluate the IGEPv2 (shipping this weekend). If interested in the results contact me.

Cheers, David

scologic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2010, 03:43:53 AM »

This is not going to be a TV but will playback small 600 x 480 video and testing thus far is fine at that size. Most who have contacted me since the initial post are looking for a graphical display not a full screen media streaming device, and thats essentially hat we're doing with it. So nope we aint playing DOOM3d on the unit.

Sco Logic

hansan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:07 AM »

This is not going to be a TV but will playback small 600 x 480 video and testing thus far is fine at that size.
I find it very promising that it is possible to playback small 600 x 480 video. That makes it still an option. But dbeck says something different:
That's right. In my experience the DisplayLink device is not very fast. Animated graphics are out of question. It is OK for simple tasks, such as writing this post.
Probably I should just buy one and try what my application will do.

• The beagleboard has lot more power than the device you mention, but lacks the ethernet interface Unfortunately not shipping at the moment.
  • The IGEPv2 device is available and also more powerful, but it only have 100Mb interface. CPU and graphics look promising. 
The board I mentioned is also a beagleboard clone (has the same OMAP3530 processor) it should deliver the same performance as the beagleboard or the IGEPv2 (I looked at that one too), the only difference is the amount of memory and the features. Though recently the increased the amount of memory on the devkit8000 as well, but still it is only half of the 512MB of the IGEPv2. Wifi and bluetooth natively on the IGEPv2 is quite attractive.

David, I am very much interested in your results with this board. Please let me know when you have some results with it.

Greetings, Han

augustus

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 02:30:03 PM »

Hello, I'm hoping someone on here is able to help me on this.  I have a MIMO 740, I get a green screen on boot up and when I run startx it goes black.  If I hit some keys on an attached usb keyboard nothing appears until I control-C out of xorg at which time the MIMO monitor actually displays everything I typed, and additionally has an X on the screen.  I was unable to make the displaylink properly, receiving these errors:
Code:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/mnt/usb/displaylink modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-trunk-kirkwood'
  CC [M]  /mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.o
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c: In function ‚displaylink_edid_to_reg‚:
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:85: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hactive_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:91: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vactive_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:97: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hblank_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:97: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hsync_offset_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:101: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vblank_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:101: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vsync_offset_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:101: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vsync_offset_lo‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:105: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hblank_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:106: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hsync_pulse_width_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:109: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vblank_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:110: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vsync_pulse_width_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:110: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vsync_pulse_width_lo‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c: In function ‚displaylink_set_video_mode‚:
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:249: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hactive_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c: In function ‚displaylink_setup‚:
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:308: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hactive_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:311: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚hactive_hi‚
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:312: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named ‚vactive_hi‚
make[4]: *** [/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/mnt/usb/displaylink] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-trunk-kirkwood'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've been bruising my head for several days over this, any help is very appreciated!

dbeck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »

Hello, I'm hoping someone on here is able to help me on this.  I have a MIMO 740, I get a green screen on boot up and when I run startx it goes black.  If I hit some keys on an attached usb keyboard nothing appears until I control-C out of xorg at which time the MIMO monitor actually displays everything I typed, and additionally has an X on the screen.  I was unable to make the displaylink properly, receiving these errors:
Code:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/mnt/usb/displaylink modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-trunk-kirkwood'
  CC [M]  /mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.o
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c: In function ‚displaylink_edid_to_reg‚:
/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.c:85: error: ‚struct detailed_pixel_timing‚ has no member named
make[4]: *** [/mnt/usb/displaylink/displaylink-usb.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/mnt/usb/displaylink] Error 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-trunk-kirkwood'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I've been bruising my head for several days over this, any help is very appreciated!

Hello, Have you tried the method I suggested in my previous post:
  • Use the 2.6.32.3 precompiled kernel from: http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/index.php
  • Download the compatible module attached to the posts: udlfb-2.6.32.3-xres-yres.tar.gz 
  • Also download the X driver attached my mitsus in a previous post
  • You may need to set the right resolution in modprobe.d

David

augustus

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »

David, thanks for your reply.  I started by following the example provided here http://mulchman.org/blog/?p=21, then I got to this thread and read everything on this forum.  I'm now where I get this error when I try startx
Code:
X.Org X Server 1.7.4
Release Date: 2010-01-08
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.26-2-iop32x armv5tel Debian
Current Operating System: Linux debian 2.6.32-trunk-kirkwood #1 Mon Jan 11 10:57:12 UTC 2010 armv5tel
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200
Build Date: 21 January 2010  04:20:50AM
xorg-server 2:1.7.4-2 (buildd@argento)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the la[13806.009872] vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device
test version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from co[13806.024378] vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device
mmand line, (!!)[13806.030311] MMAP: 3842048 3842048
 notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Feb 12 13:39:21 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Primary device is not PCI
[color=yellow](EE) module ABI major version (5) doesn't match the server's version (6)[/color]
(EE) Failed to load module "displaylink" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
record: RECORD extension enabled at configure time.
record: This extension is known to be broken, disabling extension now..
record: http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20500
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""e2i Technology, Inc. USB Touchpanel""
I think I'm very close to getting it working, as I said it's green on boot up, and when I cancel xorg, information I typed does appear on the MIMO display.  I'm hesistant to try your method because I'm running the OPEN RD CLIENT and I don't want to add another complication to the mix, and I don't exactly know how to use your precompiled kernel.  Do I just swap out uImages?  What about the root filesystem?  As is likely obvious, I'm a noob at this stuff, so I don't exactly follow all the information found in this forum.

Thanks for any help you can lend!

snake

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2010, 06:08:41 AM »

Hello,

I am trying to make a slightly newer MIMO monitor version (UM-720s) work with the sheevaplug based on the instructions posted in this thread. Unfortunately, I am also encountering the same problems as augustus.. seems like there is a problem with:

(EE) module ABI major version (5) doesn't match the server's version (6)

Looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I could see the following information:

(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                     
        compiled for 1.7.4, module version = 1.1.0                             
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0                         
(II) Loading extension DRI2                                                     
(II) LoadModule: "displaylink"                                                 
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/displaylink_drv.so                   
(II) Module displaylink: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                             
        compiled for 1.6.0, module version = 0.0.1                             
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0                             

It seems that the installed ABI class: X.Org Server Extension version is 2.0 while ABI class: X.Org Video Driver version is 5.0.

By the way, I have tried installing the software components thru the following command:
# apt-get install gdm xfce4

Hope somebody could point out how to resolve the ABI version differences. Thank you in advance.

debian:/# startxfce4                                                           
/usr/bin/startxfce4: Starting X server                                         

X.Org X Server 1.7.4                                                           
Release Date: 2010-01-08                                                       
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0                                               
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.26-2-iop32x armv5tel Debian                   
Current Operating System: Linux debian 2.6.30.1 #2 PREEMPT Mon Jul 20 10:59:47 I
DT 2009 armv5tel                                                               
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/nfs rw nfsroot=192.168.0.2:/
home/MIMO_rootfs ip=192.168.0.3:192.168.0.2:::DB88FXX81:eth0:none               
Build Date: 21 January 2010  04:20:50AM                                         
xorg-server 2:1.7.4-2 (buildd@argento)                                         
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4                                               
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org                     
        to make sure that you have the latest version.                         
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,             
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,               
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.           
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Feb 16 11:06:45 2010           
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"                                   
(EE) Failed to load module "displaylink" (module requirement mismatch, 0)       
(EE) No drivers available.                                                     

Fatal server error:                                                             
no screens found                                                               

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support                                 
         at http://wiki.x.org                                                   
 fochecking for resolution 800 480                                             
edid 800X480                                                                   
found valid resolution for displaylink device                                   
setting hardware to 800 480                                                     
displaylink setting resolution to 800x480                                       
set video mode bulk message: 144 144                                           
displaylink register flush: 0                                                   
r help.                                                                         
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional informati
on.                                                                             

giving up.                                                                     
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server     
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.                 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to: