• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Instructions: Getting the serial console to work on a MAC  (Read 56035 times)
gfarrell

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 03:48:43 PM »

at www.PlugPBX.org we have a pre-build plist file for Mac OS X 10.6 you can freely download / use Wink

That PlugPBX stuff looks cool, I reckon I'd have to buy another plug for it though, because my one is quite engaged as a backup/file/transmission server.

oldskoolboarder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 02:41:13 AM »

Running 10.6 on MBP.

Last week I used the Global Scale plug w/ the VCP drivers from the FTDI website.  I followed the video from the PlugPBX site and was able to get CoolTerm to work on my MBP.

This week, I got an Ionics plug and the VCP drivers didn't work with CoolTerm.  I tried using the steps noted in FTDI's AN 134 to load the D2xx drivers in Terminal.  CoolTerm still won't work.  I can only get the Ionics to work under VirtualBox and Win7.  Anyone had luck installing the D2xx drivers under OSX and getting the serial console to work?

Could this be a conflict with have both the VCP and D2xx drivers loaded?  Confused...

af3556

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:05 AM »

Chances are the USB vendor and/or product ID for the new plug is different than the Globalscale one.

Open System Profiler, look under USB devices, look for your plug's USB interface. Examine the  product and vendor IDs, compare to what's in the file  /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist. If they're not there, edit that file to add the new device IDs (refer the first few posts of this thread).

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:47:50 AM by af3556 » Logged

oldskoolboarder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 05:28:51 PM »

Good gravy.

I had this working 'once' with GlobalScale and now it doesn't work.  So I started from scratch.  I have a MBP with Snow Leopard.

1)  deleted the /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext.  Rebooted.
2)  Reinstalled the FTDI drivers from the FTDI website, using the 10.6 driver version.
3)  Rebooted OSX
4)  Copied the pre-made info.plist into the FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents.
5)  Ran sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions. 
6)  Plugged in GlobalScale plug.
7)  Tried CoolTerm but no sign of USB device.  Confirmed this w/ System Profiler.
Cool  Disconnect and power off Plugtop.
9)  Reboot OSX.
10)  Start CoolTerm.
11)  Power on PlugTop. 
12)  No luck configuring CoolTerm w/ an active port.

Sheesh.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  Ideas?

af3556

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 05:07:27 AM »

7)  Tried CoolTerm but no sign of USB device.  Confirmed this w/ System Profiler.

If it's not showing up in Sys Profiler, there's something really screwy going on. It should be there regardless of any driver.

Suggest trying another computer and/or cable?

belunch

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 11:26:05 AM »

Console works fine for uBoot configuration but when I start Debian installer (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html) I see rubbish (strange characters, like chineese Smiley) on the screen - disconnecting cable and connecting it again fixes it for one screen refresh and then everything goes into unreadable characters again ... any idea what might have caused it and how to fix?

this seems related with ansi/other encoding, yet not clear how to fix it. Thanks for help

hausschuh

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 01:41:20 PM »

I don't get it to work.
I've downloaded the pre-build plist from PlugPBX and replaced the old file. It doesn't work.
I've checked the System-Profiler and the Vendor/Product ID is in hex code (product: 0x9e8f vendor: 0x9e88). Inside the plist they are decimal (product: 40591 vendor: 40584).
So what are the values for my sheeva? Both don't work.

darek

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 07:40:26 AM »

Console works fine for uBoot configuration but when I start Debian installer (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html) I see rubbish (strange characters, like chineese Smiley) on the screen - disconnecting cable and connecting it again fixes it for one screen refresh and then everything goes into unreadable characters again ... any idea what might have caused it and how to fix?

this seems related with ansi/other encoding, yet not clear how to fix it. Thanks for help

I've got that same, after starting linux install I see something like that:

marthahudson
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 10:59:53 PM »

Hi everybody!!!i am Martha Hudson from New York.I am the newest member to join this site.

unix_fan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »

Good gravy.

I had this working 'once' with GlobalScale and now it doesn't work.  So I started from scratch.  I have a MBP with Snow Leopard.

1)  deleted the /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext.  Rebooted.
2)  Reinstalled the FTDI drivers from the FTDI website, using the 10.6 driver version.
3)  Rebooted OSX
4)  Copied the pre-made info.plist into the FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext/Contents.
5)  Ran sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions. 
6)  Plugged in GlobalScale plug.
Cool  Disconnect and power off Plugtop.
9)  Reboot OSX.
10)  Start CoolTerm.
11)  Power on PlugTop. 
12)  No luck configuring CoolTerm w/ an active port.

Sheesh.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  Ideas?

No, it shouldn't be.

FWIW, on my hackintosh runing 10.6.3, I have to turn off flow control with the -fn parameter, i.e.,

screen -fn /dev/tty.usbserial-FTT65MWIB 115200

rosasafes
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 12:02:57 AM »

hey friends im new on the forum..

any one suggest me the graphics and sound driver for Intel i845

or any one tell me the another option for that motherboard...

andrew
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2010, 12:46:03 AM »

hey friends im new on the forum..
any one suggest me the graphics and sound driver for Intel i845
or any one tell me the another option for that motherboard...

You could find evrything on intel site.

guiller8oneil
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 05:47:11 AM »

I'm an eighteen-year-old American college student, currently working towards a double-major Master's in Computer Science and Computer Engineering. I am also, as you may have guessed, a gamer geek.

mikeywebb
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 04:46:30 AM »

the program seems to work

squardo
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »

yeah.its working fine to me..

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to: